Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hello people.

I'm from Serbia and this is my premier post.

I have a dilemma stated in the title. For example: if I talk about a frame (a computer science term), and afterward I use "the" in front of the word, since the frame has already been mentioned, should I use definite article before its scroll first mentioning - "frame scroll" or "the frame scroll". An example text extract would be : "... it is related to a frame parent of our application in SF and scrolling. Namely, when one scrolls using the? frame scroll ...." . And also afterward: "That is the point of the? frame's fixed positioning."

Some grammar instructions on the subject would be desirable.
Thank you very much for helping.
Dusan

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, use a "the."

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a dilemma stated in the title. For example: if I talk about a frame (a computer science term), and afterward I use "the" in front of the word, since the frame has already been mentioned, should I use definite article before its scroll first mentioning - "frame scroll" or "the frame scroll". An example text extract would be : "... it is related to a frame parent of our application in SF and scrolling. Namely, when one scrolls using the? (not necessary here since "frame scroll" is a general computer term/feature) frame scroll ...." . And also afterward: "That is the point of the? ( yes, "the" is appropriate here, because it is used as referring to the specific function/use of the feature) frame's fixed positioning."

Some grammar instructions on the subject would be desirable.
Thank you very much for helping.
Dusan[/QUOTE]

b.

mr02077

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thanks Dave.
Do you have some reference to where I can read more about the subject and the this type of rules for articles usage? Not the basic rules set that is easy to find, but some more advanced or comprehensive story?
I am not managing to find it on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.