Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hi,

I don't know where to live.

This is an abriged version of the noun clause.

Could you please give the version without abridgement?

Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know where to choose as a place of residence.

b

PS If this is homework, shame on you;-) - but I'm not particularly worried about having helped, as I expect your teacher isn't looking for so much embroidery! (The thing about abridgment is that you miss stuff out, and what you miss out could be almost anything.)

Last edited:

angel-girl1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco

b

PS If this is homework, shame on you;-) - but I'm not particularly worried about having helped, as I expect your teacher isn't looking for so much embroidery! (The thing about abridgment is that you miss stuff out, and what you miss out could be almost anything.)
Thanks a lot.
I'm trying to understand abridgement in noun clauses.

I think this sentence also contains an abridged noun clause since the noun clause uses the infinitive and it doesn't contain its own subject.
Correct me please.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You seem to referring to a syntactic construct ('an abridged noun clause') that I haven't met before. I'd better leave it to other teachers.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I readily admit that I'm having trouble seeing "I don't know where to live" as an abridgement of anything. It appears to contain all relevant and appropriate information.

angel-girl1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I readily admit that I'm having trouble seeing "I don't know where to live" as an abridgement of anything. It appears to contain all relevant and appropriate information.

I think that "I don't know where to live" is an abridged noun clause derived from an interrogative sentence. The agent of the abridged noun clause is the subject of the main verb.

"He offered me where to live." The agent of the abridged noun clause is the object of the main clause.

We need somebody who is familiar with such rules.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think that "I don't know where to live" is an abridged noun clause derived from an interrogative sentence. The agent of the abridged noun clause is the subject of the main verb.

"He offered me where to live." The agent of the abridged noun clause is the object of the main clause.

We need somebody who is familiar with such rules.

You're right. We need somebody who understands it! I've just read three web pages on it and I'm none the wiser.

I can tell you one thing though - "He offered me where to live" is not a correct English sentence. Did you mean "He offered me somewhere to live"? Or possibly "He offered me a place to live"?

angel-girl1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Did you mean "He offered me somewhere to live"? Or possibly "He offered me a place to live"?
Yes, this is what I meant.
Another example: He told me when to go.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I can tell you one thing though - "He offered me where to live" is not a correct English sentence. Did you mean "He offered me somewhere to live"? Or possibly "He offered me a place to live"?
I suspect angel-girl1's mother tongue allows this sort of use of a question-word as the the subject or object of another clause. The example that springs to mind is Portuguese: O dinheiro de quem não dá é o trabalho de quêm não têm - 'The money of him who doesn't give is the work of him who doesn't have [anything].'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.