• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

How should I say this?

Hello!

Could you tell me please, which one is correct (if any).

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wrote their songs not in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they didn't write their songs in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wouldn't have written their songs in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wouldn’t write their songs in English.

Is there other way to say this? I'm not shure which tense (present, past or future) I should use in the subjunctive mood.

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How should I say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_K View Post
    Hello!

Could you tell me please, which one is correct (if any).

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wrote their songs not in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they didn't write their songs in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wouldn't have written their songs in English.

- The Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles if they wouldn’t write their songs in English.

Is there other way to say this? I'm not shure sure which tense (present, past or future) I should use in the subjunctive mood.

Thank you
    The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles if they hadn't written their songs in English.

The Beatles don't exist any more so I wouldn't start the sentence with "The Beatles wouldn't be The Beatles" as that suggests the present. They existed in the past. If it were now 1965, I might say "The Beatles wouldn't be The Beatles if they didn't write their songs in English".

Using "not in English" is a difficult construction to fit into this sentence.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

I think this one " The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles if they had not written their songs in English. " is the right ( conditional type 2 :) )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
    I think this one " The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles if they had not written their songs in English. " is the right ( conditional type 2 :) )
    Welcome to the forums, upgrader. Have you read the relevant posting guidelines for this forum? They are here:
    "You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion."