[General] He strikes a spark from a flint and then they bring the candles back to life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can I strike a spark from a flint or with a flint? "He strikes a spark from a flint and then they bring the candles back to life and close tight the window". By the way, is it ok to say "bring candles back to life"?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I strike a spark from a flint or with a flint? "He strikes a spark from a flint and then [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] it bring the candles back to life and close tight the window". By the way, is it ok to say "bring candles back to life"?
If he only strikes a spark there is only one spark. Here you would use "it", not "they".

Better - He strikes a spark from a flint and it brings the candles back to life (though I can't see how one spark could light more than one candle).

Even better - He strikes a spark from a flint and it brings the candle back to life.

As to the rest of the sentence - "and close tight the window" - Here you are almost saying that the flint closed the window.

Better - "...and he tightly closed the window".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He would only have to light one single candle with the spark from the flint, then he could light all the other candles using the flame from the first one.

Having said that, I don't really find "bringing a candle back to life" very natural at all. I would simply say that he relit the candle.

He struck a spark with a flint to relight the candles, then tightly closed the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.