Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Wales
Current Location
South Korea
This is for an abstracts for an MA, the person who I've check this for is convinced it is wrong, but I'm convinced that it is right....This is one sentence with in a paragraph, so don't worry about the context just the sentence....

[FONT=HY&#49888]"Transferring the files through many different kinds of applications such as [/FONT][FONT=HY&#49888]cloud storage, video sharing SNS and other near field communication installed in Android based smart phones.[/FONT]"

She is convinced it is wrong because there are no verbs in the sentence, but installed is the main verb isn't it?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is for an abstracts for an MA, the person who I've check this for is convinced it is wrong, but I'm convinced that it is right....This is one sentence with in a paragraph, so don't worry about the context just the sentence....

[FONT=HY&amp]"Transferring the files through many different kinds of applications such as [/FONT][FONT=HY&amp]cloud storage, video sharing SNS and other near field communication installed in Android based smart phones.[/FONT]"

She is convinced it is wrong because there are no verbs in the sentence, but installed is the main verb isn't it?

Thank you.

No. In this case, "installed" acts as an adjective. To make it a full sentence, it would need to be something like:

Transferring the files through many different applications such as cloud storage, SNS and other systems installed in Android-based smartphones is very easy.

It is very simple to transfer files through many different applications, such as ... smartphones.

Note that a hyphen is required in "Android-based" and "smartphone" is all one word.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Do periods that being used in the title represent Ellipsis. Question: How many dots do we need in the title after the word sentence?

Thank you,

dandred

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Wales
Current Location
South Korea

Do periods that being used in the title represent Ellipsis. Question: How many dots do we need in the title after the word sentence?

Thank you,

Yes, I needed a question mark, thank you.

Shouldn't your sentence read "Do the periods that are being used in the title represent Ellipsis?" for it to be a correct sentence?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE style, an ellipsis consists of a space, then three dots, then a space before the continuation of the sentence.

In the title of this thread, an ellipsis was not appropriate. "Please could you you check this sentence" is fine as it is with a full stop after it. Of course, it doesn't follow the recommended standard of thread titles which should contain all or some of the words in the question. A good title would have been "Installed in Android based smart phones".

Status
Not open for further replies.