Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Does anyone know a TV commercial from Axe named "Susan Glenn"?

Well, I didn't understand this excerpt:

"The brains behind the all-time top-10 comic-book vixens only wish they could conjure a siren the likes of Susan Glenn."

What does this sentence mean literally?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Anyone knows an axe commercial known as Susan Glenn?

"The brains behind the all-time top-10 comic-book vixens only wish they could conjure a siren the likes of Susan Glenn."

What on earth is an "axe commercial"? Is it really a television/cinema/billboard advert trying to get you to buy an axe? And why is a commercial known as Susan Glenn? We don't give adverts names here.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyone knows an axe commercial known as Susan Glenn?

See Susan Glenn | Know Your Meme for additional information.

"Susan Glenn" is an Internet slang term used to describe the “it” girl; she is “the one”, and usually the one that got away. Susan Glenn is considered to be all encompassing and the true definition of perfection.

The phrase "Susan Glenn" made its Internet debut on The Online Slang Dictionary in early May 2012.

Susan Glenn (noun): The girl, the one that got away. Not just a girl, but the girl – A female who possesses a combination of physical and behavior characteristics that make her infinitely desirable to a man or boy. Susan Glenns are held up as nearly untouchable, and their very being creates vast emotions in the men who covet them.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence means that all of people who created the best women ever shown in comic books couldn't have come up with Susan.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What on earth is an "axe commercial"? Is it really a television/cinema/billboard advert trying to get you to buy an axe? And why is a commercial known as Susan Glenn? We don't give adverts names here.
"Axe" is a deodorant brand for men. See the commercial here: AXE Susan Glenn Commercial - YouTube

The "Axe commercial with Susan Glenn" refers to an "Axe" commercial that features Susn Glenn. It would be similar to any other commercial named after a product; "The Coca-Cola commercial with the holiday bears" or "the Pepsi Cola commercial with Michael Jackson".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Axe" is a deodorant brand for men. See the commercial here: AXE Susan Glenn Commercial - YouTube

The "Axe commercial with Susan Glenn" refers to an "Axe" commercial that features Susn Glenn. It would be similar to any other commercial named after a product; "The Coca-Cola commercial with the holiday bears" or "the Pepsi Cola commercial with Michael Jackson".

That makes sense now but the original post did not give "Axe" a capital letter, and "axe commercial named Susan Glenn" made no sense. Had it said "Axe commercial with Susan Glenn", I would not have been so confused!

guliver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks Everybody!!!!

Amigos4

VIP Member