There were more casualties than was/were reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the following sentence, "There were more casualties than was reported." Can I interpret it as "There were more casulties than the casualties that were reported"? Therefore, should this sentence be changed to "There were more casulties than were reported"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In the following sentence, "There were more casualties than was reported." Can I interpret it as "There were more casulties than the casualties that were reported"? Therefore, should this sentence be changed to "There were more casulties than were reported"?

I would write it as "There were more casualties than had been reported".

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would write it as "There were more casualties than had been reported".

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Then if present tense is used here, should the sentence be changed to "There are more casualties than has been reported" or "There are more casualties than have been reported"? I'd like to know what the word "than" may refer to and how to decide whether a singular form or a plural form should be used in such kind of sentences.

Hugo_Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I tend to think plural should be adopted because in most cases, the casualties happened previously can't be only one. But I'm not a native speaker. Would love to hear what native speakers suggest.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Then if present tense is used here, should the sentence be changed to "There are more casualties than has been reported" or "There are more casualties than have been reported"? I'd like to know what the word "than" may refer to and how to decide whether a singular form or a plural form should be used in such kind of sentences.
Good question. Bhai's solution has the virtue of taking away the necessity to choose between a singular and plural verb - since 'had' is the form for all persons; but it introduces the past perfect where that might not be the most appropriate tense. As you point out, it evades the problem.
I think you could justify both cases - as you imply, depending on whether "than" refers to the number of casualties or to "it" in "It was reported that there were X casualities."
How about, "There were more casualties than reported." (This also evades the problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.