[Grammar] a particular culture sees as being ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the following passage I got a point:

Such environments are conceptualized as settings for the kind of people whom a particular culture sees as being normative, and for the kind of lifestyle that is regarded as significant and typical of the group and that distinguishes it from other groups.

I think the passive form of 'see' should be replaced.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not quite sure what you mean by be replaced. There is no passive voice in the sentence. Are you asking for the passive voice?

The sentence as written is grammatically correct. It is the usual extremely dense and barely intelligible stuff of sociology, but it is nonethelessl correct.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm not quite sure what you mean by be replaced. There is no passive voice in the sentence. Are you asking for the passive voice?

The sentence as written is grammatically correct. It is the usual extremely dense and barely intelligible stuff of sociology, but it is nonethelessl correct.
"Such environments are conceptualized as settings for the kind of people" and "and for the kind of lifestyle that is regarded as significant and typical of the group" are passive. Otherwise I agree. In the clause under question, there's no passive voice.
" ... whom a particular culture sees as being normative ..." = "A particular culture [subject] sees [active verb] whom (a kind of people) [direct object] as being normative."

Status
Not open for further replies.