Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "soul" refer to "person" or "spirit"?

50)“Your daughter Cindy is great indeed!” Without introducing herself, a lady got out of the car. And she continued, “That boy who is walking along with your daughter is my son Henry. He is suffering from an illness. He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the treatment. He refused to come back toschool fearing the cruel teasing of the schoolmates. Cindy visited him last week, and promised him that she will take care of the teasing issue. But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for the sake of my son! You and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your daughter.”

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it dubious?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Does this "soul" refer to "person" or "spirit"?

***NOT A TEACHER***
You could differentiate between so[STRIKE]le[/STRIKE]ul & spirit by having a look over here, comment #26.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

***NOT A TEACHER***
You could differentiate between so[STRIKE]le[/STRIKE]UL & spirit by having a look over here, comment #26.
I'm not sure that's the best of definitions. Why not use a dictionary? Why put your faith in some guy called 'Chaya', from somewhere I've never heard of.

Many of the idiomatic expression used in English date from a time when everyone in the UK was a practising Christian; some of them date from a time when everyone in the UK was a practising Roman Catholic. So if I say, 'not a soul was to be seen' it means the same as 'nobody was to be seen', although most believers would say the body was not the same as the soul. That is, sometimes - in idiomatic speech - 'soul' means roughly the same as 'person'. Hence expressions such as 'He was a troubled soul' (he was a disturbed person).

That's one use of 'soul'. Another is when you say of someone - for example - 'she's a well-meaning old soul'. Again, this just means something like 'person', but it often implies some positive or generous trait or emotion, as in the rhyme 'Old King Cole was a merry old soul'.

So a theologist might care to distinguish 'soul' from 'spirit. But in this context I don't think the distinction is important or relevant. (Also, note the speaker's use of 'blessed' - which suggests some kind of religious background.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.