Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Is everything okay with this one sentence? Today I looked for information about a driver's license and I found out that I can't have "C" category driver's license, because I'm too young.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is everything okay with this [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] sentence?

Today I looked for information about [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] driver's licenses and I found out that I can't have a "C" category driver's license, because I'm too young.

See above.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you for correction. I'm a worst English learner in the world. My English is incomprehensible. What's wrong with me? :( I think that I will never master English articles :(

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't worry. In my opinion, articles are the hardest thing to master and the non-native use of articles will be the very last thing to disappear before your writing will be completely native-like. That is, people who in every other way are completely fluent in English and outstanding communicators still struggle with articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for correction. I'm a worst English learner in the world. My English is incomprehensible. What's wrong with me? :( I think that I will never master English articles :(

No-one is the worst learner in the world and your English certainly isn't incomprehensible! Articles are very difficult to learn (and difficult to teach).

In your particular example, you were not looking for information about a specific driver's license, but about driver's licences in general, so no article was necessary. However, in the second half of the sentence you were being specific. You were talking about a/the Category C driver's license, as opposed to all the types of license.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
I wish I were a native English language speaker. How does it feel when you are a native English speaker? I guess it feels pretty dam* good =)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Being a native English speaker feels to us exactly like being a native Lithuanian speaker does to you. It's just normal.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Being a native Lithuanian speaker feels pretty bad, because Lithuanian language is worthless. This language is one of the hardest in the world. Only one country speaks Lithuanian and it's Lithuania. :) You don't believe how good it feels when I write in English :) Beauty, awesomeness, excitement, perfection. Love this language, but unfortunately one thing annoys me that I'm not a native speaker and only one word can express what I feel about this language is "Passion, passion and one more time passion". I have been waiting for a moment when I will be in UK or US or Canada I want to hear this language in my environment. British accent is nice, American is my favorite -) Sorry for talking non-sense. I just wanted to express my passion about this wonderful language =)

Status
Not open for further replies.