Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!

According to Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary Get on is a phrasal verb used to embark a vehicle, such as a bus. But for cars we do not use it, we use Get in instead, which means enter.

The thing is: is there an explanation for not using Get on or Get in for all vehicles?

Regards,
Tito

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
[I am not a teacher]

I have never heard of any rules for using prepositions like 'in' or 'on'. We learn/know by experience and use. All I can say is that most often 'on' is used for large vehicles while 'in' is not.
Compare:

Get in the car.
Get on the bus.
Get on the plane.

It is worth nothing that prepositions usage may vary from country to country.

Offroad

TitoBr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hey, Offroad!

Thank you for your post. I think there's something else beyond these two prepositions. There must be something related to collocations or some other complex phrasal verb rule. I believe that it is just one of those intrincacies of the language: you simply do not explain it, this is how millions of people are used to using it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[I am not a teacher]

I have never heard of any rules for using prepositions like 'in' or 'on'. We learn/know by experience and use. All I can say is that most often 'on' is used for large vehicles while 'in' is not.
Compare:

Get in the car.
Get on the bus.
Get on the plane.

It is worth nothing that prepositions usage may vary from country to country.

Offroad

:up: That's it. Think about whether you are standing up when you get in/on. When you board an airliner you get on, before you strap yourself into a glider's cockpit you get in.

TitoBr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
All these vehicles have interiors, and the preposition On means above something, while In is inside of something. And then we use On for all these ways of transportation but In for a car? Hmmm, there must have something else to help learners to understand the difference between these 2 phrasal verbs.

My objective with this thread is to shape a reasonable and yet simple explanation for this difference in usage. Comments as the ones posted are welcome. If you have another point of view on the subject, please, do share!

See ya!
Tito

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
[I am not a teacher]

I don't think they are phrasal verbs in this particular case, plus, as we all discussed earlier, the bridge that leads us to agreement is accepting the way prepositions are used. I guarantee you will learn much more by asking 'how' instead of 'why'.

Offroad

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Actually, they do satisfy a major criterion for classification as phrasal verbs, since removal of the preposition and its object would render them ungrammatical. Thus e.g.

Please get in the car!

cannot be reduced to

*Please get!

Compare this with a simple, non-phrasal verb + preposition sequence such as 'go into' in

Please go into the office!

which can be reduced to

Please go!

without loss of grammatical acceptability.

However, an important distinction to note here is that between prepositional phrasal verbs (such as 'get in' in get in the car) and adverbial phrasal verbs (e.g. the same combination of words in 'get in the washing before it rains').

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, they do satisfy a major criterion for classification as phrasal verbs, since removal of the preposition and its object would render them ungrammatical. Thus e.g.

Please get in the car! cannot be reduced to *Please get!

Compare this with a simple, non-phrasal verb, + preposition sequence such as 'go into' in

Please go into the office! which can be reduced to Please go!

without loss of grammatical acceptability.
Not really.

Please get in the car can be reduced to Please get in but not, as you say, to *Please get.
Please go into the office can be reduced to Please go in, but not to Please go, which means something different.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, they do satisfy a major criterion for classification as phrasal verbs, since removal of the preposition and its object would render them ungrammatical.
I did not know that there were any universally accepted major criteria for classification as phrasal verbs.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I did not know that there were any universally accepted major criteria for classification as phrasal verbs.

Me neither!

Status
Not open for further replies.