Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dear Forum Users,

Consider this situation:

Imagine a situation in which husband and wife are planning a short trip for the weekend. Although the weather forecast had promised nice weather, it is stormy on the morning of their planned departure. The wife then goes to the window and says to her spouse: “What absolutely beautiful weather”.

Is this grammatical to say:

The complaining wife can also be seen simultaneously as a weather forecaster who predicts absolutely beautiful weather.?

Thank you.

Csika

dharanija

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
simultaneously?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Forum Users,

Consider this situation:

Imagine a situation in which husband and wife are planning a short trip for the weekend. Although the weather forecast had promised nice weather, it is stormy on the morning of their planned departure. The wife then goes to the window and says to her spouse: “What absolutely beautiful weather”.

Is this grammatical to say:

The complaining wife can also be seen simultaneously as a weather forecaster who predicts absolutely beautiful weather.?

Thank you.

Csika

Why do you think the wife predicted beautiful weather? It's clear that it was the weather forecast which had predicted nice weather. The forecast would have been on TV, on the radio or in a newspaper.
The wife's only participation in this is that she looked out the window on the relevant morning, saw that it was stormy (not nice, as predicted by the weather forecast), and sarcastically said "What absolutely beautiful weather".
The wife predicted nothing.

Csika

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi Emsr2d2,

I did not say that it was the wife who predicts nice weather. She is in a pretend-play, she is pretending to be a weather forecaster.

Csika

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Emsr2d2,

I did not say that it was the wife who predicts nice weather. She is in a pretend-play, she is pretending to be a weather forecaster.

Csika

You said this in your first post:

The complaining wife can also be seen simultaneously as a weather forecaster who predicts absolutely beautiful weather?
I can't see any way of reading that other than a suggestion that it was wife who predicts nice weather. If you meant something else, then I have to ask you to re-word it.

In your original post, you made no mention of anyone being in a play, or anyone pretending to be a weather forecaster. As usual, without the relevant context, we can't be expected to give appropriate answers.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the problem is with "as" instead of "with."
"I see you as a nice person" is very different from "I see you with a nice person."

I believe the original should have been more like "We can see the wife at the same time we can see the forecaster (on TV)."

Status
Not open for further replies.