Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"He was a good friend of mine, a close buddy. I will miss him."

Does the underlined part give us more detail about what type/kind of friend?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"He was a good friend of mine, a close buddy. I will miss him."

Does the underlined part give us more detail about what type/kind of friend?

The word "close" certainly gives us some more information. The word "buddy" is another word for a friend but it's used more commonly in AmE, more frequently by men (I believe) and I think probably only refers to certain friends.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
The term "(close) buddy" is quite common in Aust/NZ. People may have a number of good friends but usually very few close buddies. It suggests a more personal and relaxed relationship between people who have similar interests and enjoyments in life and happily spend a lot time together. As emsr2d2 says, it normally refers to men, but I have heard women and girls use it with the same meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The term "(close) buddy" is quite common in Aust/NZ. People may have a number of good friends but usually very few close buddies. It suggests a more personal and relaxed relationship between people who have similar interests and enjoyments in life and happily spend a lot time together. As emsr2d2 says, it normally refers to men, but I have heard women and girls use it with the same meaning.

Out of curiosity then, would you only use the term "buddy" when talking about those "close buddies"? You said "good friends" but very few "close buddies". Would you describe the "good friends" as "buddies" but differentiate them from the others by calling the two groups "buddies" and "close buddies"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Of course these usages overlap, and change with context, it would be wrong to be too definitive about it. However, in the context of friendship, the term "buddy" has an informality that often, I feel, reflects a particular warmth and spontaneity in a relationship. So someone who is described or seen as a close/best/bosom buddy would be a special friend. It's common in reference to kids: "Jimmy's made a lot of new friends at school and, luckily, his best buddy lives just around the corner". "Best mate" would be more common here, but I hear "best buddy" all the time.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.