Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

In American English, when the sounds d and t preceded by n, they can be dropped. Will you provide me a link in which I find such words with silent letters, please?

Example:

International

Advantage

Internet

Handsome

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
In American English, when the sounds d and t preceded by n, they can be dropped.

No, not quite. Speakers of American English don't drop the 'd' in words such as 'independent', 'indoctrinate' and 'indecisive'. I'd say that 'handsome' is an exception.

Anyway, I don't think that such a list exists. Why do you need this list? You already know the 'rule' so you can apply it to words like 'interview' and 'internet' if you wish to do so.

Edit. Come to think of it, this 'rule' you mention does not apply to all words. A speaker of American English would not drop the 't' in 'ontology' and 'intimate'. For some reason I can imagine an American omitting the 't' in 'international' but not in 'intimate'.

Last edited:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Why do you need this list?

While I was listening to this video, I got confused when the word advantage was pronounced. To be honest, had not transcription been available, then there would have been miscomprehension.

PS: Have you ever come across the word history being pronounced in this way/ˈhɪʃri/?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
While I was listening to this video, I got confused when the word advantage was pronounced. To be honest, had not transcription been available, then there would have been miscomprehension.

I see what you mean. I'd say that in standard American English one wouldn't leave out the 't' in 'advantage'.

PS: Have you ever come across the word history being pronounced in this way/ˈhɪʃri/?

Sorry, I can't read IPA.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Never, but, if your previous threads are anything to go by, you will now produce an example.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Status
Not open for further replies.