Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Let's move on to the beaches here which are absolutely beautiful. You do have over a hundred to choose from, they're mostly sandy beaches and they vary from the largest which is two and a half kilometres long, to tiny sandy coves. But there are a few that I'd really recommend you to visit. So looking at this pamphlet, first of all there's Bandela beach. This beach is one kilometre away from the old fishing village_of Bandela ... which is a beautiful spot.

Why we use "would" in the bold sentence? Is it part of conditional sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We use "would" in a lot of statements like this. It's not exactly necessary and usually we actually mean that we are doing something, not that we would do something.

I would recommend that you visit = I recommend that you visit
I would have to say that it really is beautiful = In my opinion, it's beautiful
I would suggest that you go to the library = My suggestion is that you go to the library.

It is, admittedly, a rather strange construction because it's not like we're saying "If you asked me, I would recommend ..." We frequently use the construction when someone has asked us the question.

1 - What do you recommend I do while I'm here?
2 - What would you recommend I do while I'm here?
3 - Where do you suggest I go to find that book?
4 - Where would you suggest I go to find that book?

1 and 2 mean the same, 3 and 4 mean the same.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Let's move on to the beaches here which are absolutely beautiful. You do have over a hundred to choose from, they're mostly sandy beaches and they vary from the largest which is two and a half kilometres long, to tiny sandy coves. But there are a few that I'd really recommend you to visit. So looking at this pamphlet, first of all there's Bandela beach. This beach is one kilometre away from the old fishing village_of Bandela ... which is a beautiful spot.

Why we use "would" in the bold sentence? Is it part of conditional sentence?

What is the purpose of the underscore over here, please?

Thank you,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assumed it was a typo, either in the original or a slip of the fingers when it was transcribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.