Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary I found that the phrase "I say" used to attract someone's attention is considered to be old-fashioned. So what phrases are used instead of "I say" today to attract someone's attention (in informal and formal speech)? Is "Listen" all right as an informal way of addressing a person you know well?
E.g. Listen (I say - old-fashioned?), Jane, why don't we meet up at the weekend?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary I found that the phrase "I say" used to attract someone's attention is considered to be old-fashioned. So what phrases are used instead of "I say" today to attract someone's attention (in informal and formal speech)? Is "Listen" all right as an informal way of addressing a person you know well?
E.g. Listen (I say - old-fashioned?), Jane, why don't we meet up at the weekend?

"Listen" would be considered rude, unless, for example, you were having difficulty getting the attention of a student. A more appropriate expression would be to "attract attention" could be "Excuse me, ........"
or "May I say........". I'm sure there are others that don't occur to me at the moment.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Hey" can work, but the tone of voice has to be right. It can sound agressive or it can sound just fine.

Hey, I have an idea - let's...

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So, "I say" is really not used nowadays?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I disagree with Billmcd on a small technicality. I agree that an initial "listen" would sound rude if spoken forthrightly. But there are people who habitually use an initial "listen" not to attract someone's attention, but as a kind of connective particle. In this usage it is always spoken quickly and softly, and I believe it connotes a friendly attitude on the part of the speaker. Englishhobby's example is right on point, and to take a similar one:

She gives some indication that she might be willing to get to know him better, and he says "Listen would you like to go out for dinner with me tonight?"

Status
Not open for further replies.