Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This kind of "pick up" is defined as "buy things at a cheap price" in a dictionary, but does it have to be "at a cheap price" all the time?

ma110)...Neti is the product for you. Stop by your local pharmacy and pick one up today.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I had nothing better to do just now, so I checked 'pick up' here. There were 22 definitions of the verb in the first two dictionaries I checked , and none of them gave any suggestion of 'cheaply'. The third one I tried, Cambridge ALD' did mention 'cheaply' with the example sentence "She picked up some real bargains in the sale". This was just one of 12 meanings given for the phrasal verb 'pick up' in this dictionary. This site makes it possible for learners to compare definitions given by many leading dictionaries before asking for clarification in this forum.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for your tremendous effort!
I'm sorry my dictionary is a Korean online one in pick up :: and it defines like this, but it's partly in Korean. Anyway, it means "buy something by chance at a cheap price". Maybe the editor made a mistake.

4. (싼값으로·우연히) ~을 사다 We managed to pick up a few bargains at the auction.
우리는 그 경매에서 싼값에 물건 몇 가지를 살 수 있었다.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your tremendous effort!
I'm sorry my dictionary is a Korean online one in pick up :: and it defines like this, but it's partly in Korean. Anyway, it means "buy something by chance at a cheap price". Maybe the editor made a mistake.

4. (싼값으로·우연히) ~을 사다 We managed to pick up a few bargains at the auction.
우리는 그 경매에서 싼값에 물건 몇 가지를 살 수 있었다.
The editor did not make a mistake - this is one possible meaning in the right context. Note that both Cambridge and the Korean dictionary used the word 'cheaply' in definitions based on examples of picking up bargains at a sale/auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.