Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
I learnt somewhere that English is a essentially hotchpotch of different languages and a lot of words are from French (it has something to do with the Norman Conquest...). Actually, I do find learning French helps boost my English vocabulary a lot.

So, is the above formula true? Of course, there are words from other languages as well but mainly the above three?

Is there any good books that can tell me more about this? I need some citations badly.

Cheers

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I learnt somewhere that English is a essentially hotchpotch of different languages and a lot of words are from French (it has something to do with the Norman Conquest...). Actually, I do find learning French helps boost my English vocabulary a lot.

So, is the above formula true? Of course, there are words from other languages as well but mainly the above three?

Is there any good books that can tell me more about this? I need some citations badly.

Cheers

There is a lot of material out there. You could start by reading this: History of the English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So, is the above formula true?

Not really- the basic sources of English are the languages of the Saxons and Vikings plus French and Latin.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rather than Wikipedia, I'd go first to this video, which was made by the Open Umiversity. It's narrated by Clive Anderson - a man with plenty of Viking blood, as the name suggests (though he speaks like a middle-class Londoner and sometime barrister).

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I enjoyed that. ;-)

Status