Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,

I have some questions about the /ɒ/ sound in British English. As far as I know, it is a sound found only in British English, but not in American English, which sometimes replaces it with an / ɔː/, such as the case of “because.”

I am learning British English, but sometimes I am told that my /ɒ/ sounds more like an / ɔː/. I try to rectify it. Could you help me to listen to my recording (because1.mp3) and see if it is better now?

I know that the other way of pronouncing “because” is /bɪˈkəz/ (because2.mp3). Which one, /bɪˈkɒz/ or / bɪˈkəz/, is more frequently used? Or is there any “rule,” such as the language context, that governs their uses? Sometimes I wonder whether the /kɒz/ would sound obtrusive or too prominent to listeners if it is put in a sentence.

Moreover, there is a particular English word with /ɒ/ sound that confuses me a lot. It is the word “involve” /ɪnˈvɒlv/. (http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/involve)
I reckon it is the dark /l/ which makes the /ɒ/ different from what it should be like.
I try to imitate the dictionary pronunciation (involve.mp3), and I would appreciate it very much if you would give me some comments.

The sentences I read in the recording:
1. Well, it really depends. Because you are a tourist, it might be harder for you to get good prices.
2. There was a serious incident involving a group of youths.

Thank you very much!:)

Attachments

• because1.mp3
    124.1 KB · Views: 12
  • because2.mp3
    124.6 KB · Views: 8
  • involve.mp3
    98.6 KB · Views: 5

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello thincat,

I can only speak for myself but I'd use because2. Your pronunciation, however, is not natural. I have recorded the following sentence which I found in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

Just because you’re my brother doesn’t mean I have to like you!

Listen to the recording (England - English) attached to this message.

Which one, /bɪˈkɒz/ or / bɪˈkəz/, is more frequently used?

I checked the pronunciation in the aforementioned dictionary and they use the first one, the one you used in because1.mp3. I think that their pronunciation of 'because' is more common than mine.

Attachments

• because.mp3
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello thincat,

I can only speak for myself but I'd use because2. Your pronunciation, however, is not natural. I have recorded the following sentence which I found in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

Just because you’re my brother doesn’t mean I have to like you!

Listen to the recording (England - English) attached to this message.

I checked the pronunciation in the aforementioned dictionary and they use the first one, the one you used in because1.mp3. I think that their pronunciation of 'because' is more common than mine.

Thank you very much! Perhaps I may use / bɪˈkəz/ as well since the stress of /kɒz/ in /bɪˈkɒz/ sometimes sounds obtrusive to me when it is put in a sentence. By the way, it's a surprise to know that your native language is Russian instead of English as your spoken English is so native-like!

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
By the way, it's a surprise to know that your native language is Russian instead of English as your spoken English is so native-like!

Thanks. 5jj and Tdol reviewed my accent a while back (here and here) and they said the same thing - that I sounded like a native speaker from England.

It just occured to me that I hadn't addressed your second question. Your pronunciation of 'involve' sounds good! Keep at it :up:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.