Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I know the word English should start with capital. Whenever, I forget to capitalize it, my browser points out the error by underlining it in red. However, of late, my browser does not do it. Now I type "english", it does not show any indication of error there. Since English evolve everyday and a lot of relaxation made in it, I wonder whether this has relaxed. I got this doubt, in the context of one thread discussing about Internet has become internet.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no doubt. English needs to start with a capital letter.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no doubt. English needs to start with a capital letter.
There is no doubt that you have tried to create a new word, david11! 'Capitalizating' is a nice try but the word does not exist in Standard English. The correct AmE spelling for your thread title is 'Capitalizing English'. ;-) BrE arrives at the correct spelling quicker by using an 's' instead of a 'z'. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Internet" became "internet" in the same way that "Hoover" became "hoover" (in BrE and when talking about a vacuum cleaner). However, the names of countries, their inhabitants and the languages remain proper nouns and, as such, must be capitalised at all times. Why your browser has stopped underlining the error is a mystery.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know the word English should start with capital. Whenever, I forget to capitalize it, my browser points out the error by underlining it in red. However, of late, my browser does not do it. Now I type "english", it does not show any indication of error there. Since English evolve everyday and a lot of relaxation made in it, I wonder whether this has relaxed. I got this doubt, in the context of one thread discussing about Internet has become internet.
My best guess is that you spelled "english" and your computer asked if you wanted to put such a spelling in its memory as a new word. If you accepted that request, the computer would not underline "english" as a misspelled word.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This sounds likely. You may say 'But I wouldn't have done that', but maybe the default answer - the one you get automatically if you press <RETN> - might be 'Accept and add to dictionary'. There may be a way of editing your dictionary - if you find it and do, you'll no doubt find all sorts of gubbins in there;-)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which browser do you use? I use a few and they all mark it as a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.