Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
May I know, please, which one is 'warmer' then the other one?! Is either of them used more positively? Thanks.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
May I know, please, which one is 'warmer' then the other one?! Is either of them used more positively? Thanks.
I don't know that there is much difference between these words. Both are usually used in reference to the temperature of water. Also, I can't see how the temperature of water can be understood as being more or less positive. I would say that the coffee is lukewarm and the swimming pool is somewhat tepid - but that is merely a subjective response.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the reply! By 'positive' I meant when it's ok for drinking. I think people wouldn't like to drink their tea if it's turned lukewarm. Is that right?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the reply! By 'positive' I meant when it's ok for drinking. I think people wouldn't like to drink their tea if it's turned lukewarm. Is that right?
I don't believe that there is any consensus on the correct way to speak of drinkable tea. 'lukewarm" is as good as any. I would say that I will drink the tea when it has cooled down a bit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as temperature goes, I would say they're probably pretty similar. The only difference I can think of is that water cools down from hot to lukewarm, but if it starts cold and only goes up in temperature a small amount, it only reaches tepid. That's not a rule though, that's probably just how I happen to use it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I have to drink tea that is not hot enough, or get into a bath that is less warm than I would like, then lukewarm sounds less uninviting than tepid. Like the others, I am giving a personal response, not an attempt at an objective one.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I agree with everyone, and disagree. There's no agreement (as Gilnetter said). I'm giving a personal response, as 5jj said. I see the two words the same as Ems - only reversed! For me, 'lukewarm' is nearly cold. If I had lukewarm tea, I'd throw it away and make another cup. Whereas tepid is, for me, not quite boiling (but I have noticed that most usage, and dictionaries, disagree with me - so I try to avoid both words:))

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As far as temperature goes, I would say they're probably pretty similar. The only difference I can think of is that water cools down from hot to lukewarm, but if it starts cold and only goes up in temperature a small amount, it only reaches tepid. That's not a rule though, that's probably just how I happen to use it.

I agree with your idea of warming up- lager might become tepid, but it's unlikely to become lukewarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.