Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are showing their appreciation to this store for the store's owner's courageous stance. The store is refusing to abide by provisions of Obamacare that violate their religious principles, in the face of millions of dollars in penalties per day for violating the law.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They are showing their appreciation to this store for the store's owner's courageous stance. The store is refusing to abide by provisions of Obamacare that violate their religious principles, in the face of millions of dollars in penalties per day for violating the law.
I should perhaps add that the choice of the word 'courageous' here is subjective. Those who share the religious principles of the store's owners would use 'courageous'; those who don't, might use other words.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should perhaps add that the choice of the word 'courageous' here is subjective. Those who share the religious principles of the store's owners would use 'courageous'; those who don't, might use other words.

Or no adjective at all, simply the fact. Some people are supporting the store's stance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I should perhaps add that the choice of the word 'courageous' here is subjective. Those who share the religious principles of the store's owners would use 'corageous'; those who don't, might use other words.

Those showing appreciation find it courageous, that's for sure.

But one need not share another's religious principles in order to support freedom of conscience and the idea that government should tread carefully in this area. Where a gov't's policy goals can be achieved by alternate means, the decision to force others to violate their consciences is unnecessary and tyrannic.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But one need not share another's religious principles in order to support freedom of conscience and the idea that government should tread carefully in this area. Where a gov't's policy goals can be achieved by alternate means, the decision to force others to violate their consciences is unnecessary and tyrannic.
I think we are verging on the political here. I have immense respect for SD's views on language, though I don't always agree with his political views. I think that I (as a moderator) am going to have to be tyrannical here: We can discuss the language , but not the principles. This is a language forum, not a political forum.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree. If the piece says nothing about a "courageous stance" then nor should anyone here. Even if it did, it would have to be pointed out that that was an entirely subjective view.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we are verging on the political here. I have immense respect for SD's views on language, though I don't always agree with his political views. I think that I (as a moderator) am going to have to be tyrannical here: We can discuss the language , but not the principles. This is a language forum, not a political forum.

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.