Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The figures come as Samsung, the world's largest technology firm by revenue, said Friday its net profit almost doubled to a record 6.6 trillion won ($5.97 billion) in the third quarter, boosted by strong smartphone sales.

What does "come" mean here? Can I replace it by "come from"?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The figures come as Samsung, the world's largest technology firm by revenue, said Friday its net profit almost doubled to a record 6.6 trillion won ($5.97 billion) in the third quarter, boosted by strong smartphone sales.

No!

If you added "come from" to the original sentence, the meaning of the sentence would be all screwed-up!

The figures
come[STRIKE] as [/STRIKE] from Samsung, the world's largest technology firm by revenue, said Friday its net profit almost doubled to a record 6.6 trillion won ($5.97 billion) in the third quarter, boosted by strong smartphone sales.

"Come" in this sentence is synonymous with "appear", "arrive", "happen", and "show up". In essence, the figures are "released" to the public.

The figures [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE] were released as Samsung, the world's largest technology firm by revenue, said Friday its net profit almost doubled to a record 6.6 trillion won ($5.97 billion) in the third quarter, boosted by strong smartphone sales.

That being said, the original sentence with the word "come" is perfectly acceptable and would make sense to native speakers.

Cheers,
A4

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
anhnha, as a follow-up to the original post, I would suggest the following change: ..."its net profit almost doubled to a record 6.6 trillion[STRIKE] won [/STRIKE] earned ($5.97 billion) in the third quarter,..."

Business profits are earned ... lottery profits are won! ;-)

Cheers,
A4

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No. "As" means "at/around the same time that".

The figures come (are revealed) as (at/around the same time that) Samsung said on Friday that its net profit almost doubled ...

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
No. "As" means "at/around the same time that".

The figures come (are revealed) as (at/around the same time that) Samsung said on Friday that its net profit almost doubled ...
Well, thank you all!
Is "come" a past participle here? I thought it is a main verb!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, thank you all!
Is "come" a past participle here? I thought it is a main verb!
It is the main verb, present simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.