Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which one to use when?

Hi,

In the following sentences

A:1) This is written by jhon.
    2)This was written by jhon.

B:1)This is constructed by jhon.
    2) This was constructed by jhon.

Some times people use the first one (A.1,B.1). In some occasion people use the second one(A.2, B.2). Iam a bit confused on this.Could you please tell me
    what is it that is making them choose first one on some occassions and second one on some other occasions?

-Krishna

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Which one to use when?

It depends on the time. If it is a single piece of writing, I would use 'this was written by John'. However, if it's an ongoing thing, like a newspaper column or something on the web that gets updated, I would say 'this is written by John' because he still writes it.

Hi tdol,

Thank You for ur reply.

I understand that for regularly updated things one says like "this is updated by jhon".But even for the completely written things some times people are using "this is written by jhon" .

I would like to mention even the context also here. In one of the presentation,the presentor showing one book,he said like "this is written by jhon". Here in this context isn't the book a completely written thing? Even then he said like "this is written by so and so".

Iam thinking like is it that when refereing that book was he not thinking of the exact instance of when that was written?

I read in some books like when using simple past, past context should be clearly established.

Please help me resolve this.Iam a bit confused over this point.

Krishna.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

OK, in that context it makes sense- the speaker is showing the book, and then giving the author's name so that people can write it down. Here, he is thinking about transerring the information to the audience, so the present does work there because he is thinking just about his message. He is thinking not so much of the author as a person, but as a name on the cover of the book.

Hi tdol,

Could you please just eloborate me this point more?

I don't understand clearly the pharse used by you i.e. " thinking just about his message" .Do you mean to say that speaker is not feeling the action part i.e action of writing here?

When thinking author as a person how does the speaker feel the past tense? I mean like when speaker thinks author as a person ,does he has the action of writing of that book occured in the past in his mind?

Iam giving the context for the second example also. we went to the historical place called "Taj mahal".There some people told like "this is constructed by
    Shah Jahan" Some other told like "taj mahal was construted by Shah Jahan"

Is it that when we say "this is constructed by Shah Jahan" we don't feel any past period and just say the message.

And when we say "taj mahal was construted by Shah Jahan" do we feel the action occured in the past period and use the past tense.

Krishna.

OK, in that context it makes sense- the speaker is showing the book, and then giving the author's name so that people can write it down. Here, he is thinking about transerring the information to the audience, so the present does work there because he is thinking just about his message. He is thinking not so much of the author as a person, but as a name on the cover of the book.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If you go to the Taj Mahal, then you are thinking history. It wouldn't be possible to divorce it. However, if I am holding a book in my hand in a romm of students, who will be struggling at the back of th class to see the name in the cover, I am thinking about their being able to write down the name. I am not thinking of the date of publication or anything. Try to imagine waving a book at a class, then you might see. It's really not like being a guide at the Taj Mahal, where you would be introducing people to a historical and architectural marvel. The person with the book in their hand is worried about what the listeners write down and the focus is on the book in hand at the moment.

PS, you could use the past tense with the book example as I said in my first post. I am just trying to explain why the present is not an error in this context.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Can we explain like this

1) This is written by jhon. - shows Fact
    2) This was written by jhon - gives past reference

Quote Originally Posted by krishna_ab
    Hi,
    In the following sentences
    A:1) This is written by jhon.
    2)This was written by jhon.
    B:1)This is constructed by jhon.
    2) This was constructed by jhon.
    Some times people use the first one (A.1,B.1). In some occasion people use the second one(A.2, B.2). Iam a bit confused on this.Could you please tell me
    what is it that is making them choose first one on some occassions and second one on some other occasions?
    -Krishna

Hi Tdol,

Thank you very much for your lengthy explanation.Seems like i understood it. To srengthen my concept over this some more similar set of questions over the same point.

Ex:
    1) could you please show me all the books which are written by jhon?

2)Send me only those documents which are reviewed by shekar.

3)Iam taking all the things which are bought by me.

context for 1 :Jhon has written some books.I would like to see all of them.

context for 2: shekar reviewed some documents and i would like to be sent only those documents

context for 3: I bought some things and i would like to take all of them with me.

Iam very sure in the above examples past tense can be used when we are imagining a past situation.

But when i just don't think of the past situations of when those books were written ,when those documents were reviewed and when those things were bought and just think of the end state only i feel like above statements are correct and make sense.

Please confirm me whether my thinking is correct or not.

Krishna.

If you go to the Taj Mahal, then you are thinking history. It wouldn't be possible to divorce it. However, if I am holding a book in my hand in a romm of students, who will be struggling at the back of th class to see the name in the cover, I am thinking about their being able to write down the name. I am not thinking of the date of publication or anything. Try to imagine waving a book at a class, then you might see. It's really not like being a guide at the Taj Mahal, where you would be introducing people to a historical and architectural marvel. The person with the book in their hand is worried about what the listeners write down and the focus is on the book in hand at the moment.

PS, you could use the past tense with the book example as I said in my first post. I am just trying to explain why the present is not an error in this context.

Hi Tdol,
    Thank you very much for your lengthy explanation.Seems like i understood it. To srengthen my concept over this some more similar set of questions over the same point.
    Ex:
    1) could you please show me all the books which are written by jhon?
    2)Send me only those documents which are reviewed by shekar.
    3)Iam taking all the things which are bought by me.
    context for 1 :Jhon has written some books.I would like to see all of them.
    context for 2: shekar reviewed some documents and i would like to be sent only those documents
    context for 3: I bought some things and i would like to take all of them with me.
    Iam very sure in the above examples past tense can be used when we are imagining a past situation.
    But when i just don't think of the past situations of when those books were written ,when those documents were reviewed and when those things were bought and just think of the end state only i feel like above statements are correct and make sense.
    Please confirm me whether my thinking is correct or not.
    Krishna.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The first couple work, but the third doesn't sound natural to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast