Platform of People Affected by Mortgages. What does "platform" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
About a hundred neighbours and members of the Platform of People Affected by Mortgages (PAH) gathered for hours in front of Mohammed’s family home, in spite of Wednesday’s heavy rain, to keep out the justice system authorities in charge of the foreclosure.
More:IPS – Defying Foreclosures in Spain | Inter Press Service

What does "platform" mean here? I think it could mean "group" or "organization" but I can't find this meaning in my dictionary.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
About a hundred neighbours and members of the Platform of People Affected by Mortgages (PAH) gathered for hours in front of Mohammed’s family home, in spite of Wednesday’s heavy rain, to keep out the justice system authorities in charge of the foreclosure.
More:IPS – Defying Foreclosures in Spain | Inter Press Service

What does "platform" mean here? I think it could mean "group" or "organization" but I can't find this meaning in my dictionary.

Yes, as you say, a group or organization that stands on (as on a physical structure, i.e. platform) certain principles or beliefs. Suggest you refer to other dictionaries on-line.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you,
I have consulted many dictionaries on the site OneLook Dictionary Search but I don't see it in all of my favorite dictionaries.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: It's stretching the meaning a bit. I think they were just looking for a word with an initial P to give them a catchy acronym (as 'pah' is an interjection expressive of disgust - as if they're saying 'We've had our bellyful of this cr@p'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.