Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here we have a small notebook for our insurance which has some sheets for visiting doctors. What should I call this notebook?
'Insurance note' or 'insurance policy notebook'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this notebook actually a legal requirement, required by your insurance company? Is it an in-house notebook, purely for use within your company?

What does it contain? Is it a list of insurance requirements which all visiting doctors must read and sign to show that they have read and understood it? Is it a notebook where you simply keep a record of visiting doctors and ask them sign in and out?

We are going to need more information in order to try to work out what it might be called in English. Be aware that if no such notebook exists for the same purpose in English-speaking countries, there may not be an equivalent phrase.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this notebook actually a legal requirement, required by your insurance company? Is it an in-house notebook, purely for use within your company?

What does it contain? Is it a list of insurance requirements which all visiting doctors must read and sign to show that they have read and understood it? Is it a notebook where you simply keep a record of visiting doctors and ask them sign in and out?

We are going to need more information in order to try to work out what it might be called in English. Be aware that if no such notebook exists for the same purpose in English-speaking countries, there may not be an equivalent phrase.
Thank you for being very careful, but I need you to tell me something to use.
When I have insurance, I have this notebook (or a pack of sheets together, you say what I call). Any time I have to see a doctor I need to take it and show it to the doctor so he/she will know that I have the insurance, thus the prescription and the medicines could be under the insurance discount.
The doctor writes his/her prescription on a sheet of paper in this notebook.
There are several different companies issuing 'insurance notebooks' which are all legal and nationally accepted.
Is the phrase 'insurance notebook' allowed to use? Merci.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for being very careful, but I need you to tell me something to use.
When I have insurance, I have this notebook (or a pack of sheets together, you say what I call). Any time I have to see a doctor I need to take it and show it to the doctor so he/she will know that I have the insurance, thus the prescription and the medicines could be under the insurance discount.
The doctor writes his/her prescription on a sheet of paper in this notebook.
There are several different companies issuing 'insurance notebooks' which are all legal and nationally accepted.
Is the phrase 'insurance notebook' allowed to use? Merci.

We don't have anything like that in the UK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As bhai said, we don't have anything similar in the UK. I have no idea what people with private medical insurance have to show in the way of paperwork when they have a private medical consultation but the majority of people in the UK use the national free medical care and we show nothing.

If I had to invent a name for what you use, it would be something like "Health/Medical Insurance Record Book". I wouldn't use "notebook", that sounds too informal and casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.