Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"To this I say, WHAT ARE WE DOING?! Do we really want to provide our children with a model of parenting that showcases ourselves as selfless martyrs who live out our dreams through them? In this age of "helicopter parenting,"in which we hover over our children and weigh in on every detail of their lives, is there not something to be said for developing our own joys? Wouldn't our children be thrilled to know that our life satisfaction does not ride altogether on their accomplishments?"
More: The “S” Word

I need to know what do you, native speakers, label those parents who meddle in their children's affairs. In other words, strict parents in some conservative societies, for example. Instead of using/saying "copter parents," what would the commonly used term/expression in English be?

Thank you,

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"To this I say, WHAT ARE WE DOING?! Do we really want to provide our children with a model of parenting that showcases ourselves as selfless martyrs who live out our dreams through them? In this age of "helicopter parenting,"in which we hover over our children and weigh in on every detail of their lives, is there not something to be said for developing our own joys? Wouldn't our children be thrilled to know that our life satisfaction does not ride altogether on their accomplishments?"
More: The “S” Word

I need (No, you don't need to know - you want to know) to know what do you, native speakers, label those parents who meddle in their children's affairs. In other words, strict parents in some conservative societies, for example. Instead of using/saying "copter parents," (helicopter parents is the term I have heard) what would the commonly used term/expression in English be?
"Hovering" may be an older term for this type of behavior. This may be why "helicopter parents" is used now.

Thank you,

I can't think of any one word, except "hovering", to describe this type of person. They would have to be controlling to a certain extent and would have to be intrusive. From a philosophical perspective I would call them insecure, but that doesn't point to their behavior.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I need (No, you don't need to know - you want to know) to know what do you, native speakers, label those parents who meddle in their children's affairs.

May I ask, what's wrong with saying "I need to know" in this context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
May I ask, what's wrong with saying "I need to know" in this context?
There's nothing wrong with it. However, as OD has told us in other threads that he has time on his hands and is following up his interest in English, then he probably 'wants' rather than 'needs' to know the answer to this question.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In a different context (business life) we talk of 'micromanaging' - being an excessively hands-on manager who wants to be in control of every little detail. This use of 'micromanage' has caught on, and is now being used in other contexts - so a child might complain of his parents micromanaging him or her.

The metaphor of the helicopter reminds me of a term that's not at all related. In my early days at DEC - when our managers were in Massachussetts - people used to complain of 'seagull management': 'every six months they fly over, cr@p all over everything, and then fly away again.' ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is little correlation between a helicopter parent and a strict parent. If you think " hover over our children and weigh in on every detail of their lives" is the same as "strict" you have a very confused understanding of one of those phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.