Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
To know him is to love him.
I have just seen the sentence in my book about infinitive as noun.
Can you explain what is the meaning of the sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Anyone who knows him loves him.
If you know him, you automatically love him.

Jadoon 84

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Anyone who knows him loves him.
If you know him, you automatically love him.

Are the below sentences correct in a given situation.
To inform you is to inform the whole city. (For example I have a friend who doesn't keep secrecy, whenever I give him some secret info, he leaks them to others. So I tell him in fury mood, "to inform you is as to disclose the secret to all the people of the city")
To teach you is to teach a child. (It is very difficult for me to teach you. Because your learning abilities are as slow/poor as a child)
To convince Alex is to convince my wife. (In my day to day life, it is very difficult for me to convince my wife. Similarly I have a friend - Alex and it is as difficult to convince Alex as to convince my own wife)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are the below sentences correct in a given situation.
To inform you is to inform the whole city. (For example I have a friend who doesn't keep secrecy, whenever I give him some secret info, he leaks them to others. So I tell him in fury mood, "to inform you is as to disclose the secret to all the people of the city")
To teach you is to teach a child. (It is very difficult for me to teach you. Because your learning abilities are as slow/poor as a child)
To convince Alex is to convince my wife. (In my day to day life, it is very difficult for me to convince my wife. Similarly I have a friend - Alex and it is as difficult to convince Alex as to convince my own wife)

1 and 2 are possible, though would sound contrived if you actually said them. 3 doesn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.