Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #1

    prepositions after "description"

    My collocation dictionary lists only "of" as the preposition that can be used after the word "description".
    How about other words, such as "about", "on" and "regarding"?

    For example, in an e-mail to your coworker who asked you to proofread his document...

    Perhaps you should delete the description of (on/about/regarding) your private life. I'm afraid it is a little inappropriate.

    Thank you.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #2

    Re: prepositions after "description"

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    My collocation dictionary lists only "of" as the preposition that can be used after the word "description".
    How about other words, such as "about", "on" and "regarding"?

    For example, in an e-mail to your coworker who asked you to proofread his document...

    Perhaps you should delete the description of (on/about/regarding) your private life. I'm afraid it is a little inappropriate.

    Thank you.
    In that context I would use "information about your private life". I wouldn't use "description".

  3. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #3

    Re: prepositions after "description"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In that context I would use "information about your private life". I wouldn't use "description".
    Thank you. My example was not good.
    Actually, I had this question when I looked at the collocation dictionary. I just thought "How about other words?" So, there is no context.
    But we need to provide a context here, so I came up with the example. It is not easy for a non-native speaker to come up with a good example.

    How about this?
    Here is a brief description of (on/about/regarding) the program I told you about the other day. Please read it if you are interested.

    What I'd like to know is whether "on/about/regarding" can be used after "description".

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 27,915
    #4

    Re: prepositions after "description"

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Here is a brief description of (on/about/regarding) the program I told you about the other day. Please read it if you are interested.

    What I'd like to know is whether "on/about/regarding" can be used after "description".
    No

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 52,078
    #5

    Re: prepositions after "description"

    No. It's "description of".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,917
    #6

    Re: prepositions after "description"

    It is possible to interpret 'description', in some contexts, as 'a piece of text that describes'. So it's 'text that deals with...' or 'text about...', but it's still a description of something. You can't just take a collocate of one word and stick it with another that's used in a similar role.

    b

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •