need help with my opening and transition sentences.

• Thread starter kassandra avelar
  • Start date
  • Views : 5,614
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kassandra avelar

I have a finals paper that's on To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee but I am having trouble with my transition sentences and opening sentences.(can you review it too please.) Here are my paragraphs:

In Maycomb, the black and white race are not only just separated because of their race but also because of the power each group has: whites being of a higher power and blacks being of a lesser power. When the Tom Robinson case was taking place, Scout, Jem and Dill, the neighbor kids, had stepped out feeling disappointed because Tom had a low chance of winning for he was black and it was, “a black man’s word against a white man’s.”Dolphus Raymond, a man who has mixed children and is considered a “sinner,” noticed how Dill could still could not handle what was going on and said to him, “Cry about the simple hell people give other people-- without even thinking. Cry about the hell white people give colored folks, without even stopping to think that their people too.”(269) In the case, Tom Robinson was being accused for raping Mayella Ewell, a white women, which is not true. The Ewells though still take the opportunity and plead him guilty therefore putting an innocent man to his death.

(where i need help in the end and begining of new paragraph.)

Towards the end of the case, Atticus, Tom Robinson’s Lawyer, gives his last closing statement of how “all men are not created equal” to show the Jury one last time that Tom is innocent. He said “Some people are smarter than others, some people have more opportunities because they're born with it . . ..”(274) Atticus gives this statement to the Jury knowing that they are the only ones who can decide Tom’s fate. The Jury though is made up of all white men who despise colored people and will not question Mayella Ewell's’ acquisition of being raped by Tom Robinson. For Mayella is a Ewell,and even though the Ewells are considered nobodys in Maycomb they are still white, therefore giving Mayella more power over Tom Robinson, a colored man, and leaving him without a single chance of winning the case.
(again i need help with transition and opening.)

After Jem, Scout, and Calpurnia left the First Purchase African M.E. Church, Scout had asked why Calpurnia talks nigger-like when shes around her folks and formal-like when she’s around them. Calpurnia had answered, “Well in the first place i’m black-” . . .”in the second place, folks’ don’t like to have somebody knowin’ more than they do. It aggravates ‘em.”(167) Calpurnia shows Scout the effect of how someone feels when they know they are undermined by somebody else. That is why both races, especially the whites, act supercilious over one another to try to show who is superior. Consequently causing hatred between both races.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have moved this thread to a more appropriate section. However, please note that we can't help you with a piece for a test or an exam. You need to submit your work, not ours. After your finals, when you get your mark and your piece back with comments and corrections, you are welcome to come back for our help if you don't understand any of the corrections.

K

kassandra avelar

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate section. However, please note that we can't help you with a piece for a test or an exam. You need to submit your work, not ours. After your finals, when you get your mark and your piece back with comments and corrections, you are welcome to come back for our help if you don't understand any of the corrections.

I had not know of any of that. Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.