Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm really confused about the difference between "unconsciously" and "subconsciously"! Can you please show me the difference in an easy-to-understand way? Maybe with examples. Thanks a million.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm really confused about the difference between "unconsciously" and "subconsciously"! Can you please show me the difference in an easy-to-understand way? Maybe with examples. Thanks a million.
One way to understand a word is to look to the prefix of the word. Generally, "un" can be taken to mean "not" - unaware (not aware), unselfish (not selfish), unprepared (not prepared). "sub" means "under" - submarine (underwater), sub-par (under average), subterranean (under land). Next, you should understand that "unconsciously" and "subconsciously" are theoretical constructs only - which is a formal way of saying that there is an assumption that these states occur, but there is no real proof of their existence. There will be debate on the meanings of these words and these words properly belong to a field of study called psychology. My understanding is that if you, for example, put your glasses on the table and then spend the next 15 minutes looking for the glasses - you unconsciously put your glasses down. If you wake up one morning and can understand how the quadratic formula works, there is a strong indication that you learned the formula subconsciously - a part of your mind worked on the problem. This part of your mind is called the subconscious.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My dictionary says "subconscoius feelings are hidden in your mind and affect your behavior, but you don't know you have them". So are the following examples correct with "subconsciously"?
He killed my dog, but I don't know why, I like him subconsciously.
It was a formal ceremony and unfortunately I got hammererd. It was my turn to give the lecture, you know it's natural to make blunders while you're drunk. But subconsciously I did it in the best way.

expat35

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Singapore
I'd say if you do something unconsciously you didn't do it consciously but since you did it, you must have done it subconsciously. i.e. you weren't really aware you did it but your subconscious took care of it. So in practice there wouldn't be a real difference.

Beyond the adverb, note however that the adjective unconscious means someone has lost consciousness i.e. has fainted, is in a coma or knocked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.