[Grammar] There are those days which seem a taking in of breath which, held, suspends the whole

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

I'm reading a novel called "Farewell summer" written by Ray Bradbury, and this is the very beginning of the book.

"There are those days which seem a taking in of breath which, held, suspends the whole earth in its waiting"

Could you please help me understand this sentence? I'm particulary confused by the words that I underlined.

Thank you,
Tara

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a very natural sentence.

Some days, it feels like if you held your breath, the world would stop until you exhale.

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It's not a very natural sentence.

Some days, it feels like if you held your breath, the world would stop until you exhale.

Hello Barb_D,

Thank you so much for your kind explanation.
This rephrased sentence is easy to understand.

Thank you,
Tara

eunice65078

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mr. Bradbury is describing one of those very special days where the air is crisp and full of promise (to be a wonderful day), the sun is bright and causing its own sparkle to reflect off everything, etc. Where just to be outside and take a breath is to feel the beauty of nature and the potential of doing anything wonderful. And it feels like you could potentially take a breath and the world would stop and wait for you to breathe out before the gorgeous day could move on...

The second word you underlined "held" refers to the first phrase you underlined about "taking in a breath". I also am not a teacher but I love Ray Bradbury's stories and style of writing - and I use the English (American) language every day for work and play...

Last edited:

tara

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Mr. Bradbury is describing one of those very special days where the air is crisp and full of promise (to be a wonderful day), the sun is bright and causing its own sparkle to reflect off everything, etc. Where just to be outside and take a breath is to feel the beauty of nature and the potential of doing anything wonderful. And it feels like you could potentially take a breath and the world would stop and wait for you to breathe out before the gorgeous day could move on...

The second word you underlined "held" refers to the first phrase you underlined about "taking in a breath". I also am not a teacher but I love Ray Bradbury's stories and style of writing - and I use the English (American) language every day for work and play...

Hello eunice65078,

Thank you for the beautiful explication.
I like his novels, too.
This book seems a bit too difficult for me, but I'm enjoying the story so far.

Thank you,
Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.