which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Obama delivered the verdict, which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.
More:AFP: No 'adjustments' needed on war fronts: Obama
Can I rewrite the sentence above as follows?
Obama delivered the verdict which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.
(I have omitted commas before and after "which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff".)
Obama delivered the verdict, voiced previously by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.

Are there other ways to express the phrase "
which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff" in the sentence above?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Obama delivered the verdict, which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.
More:AFP: No 'adjustments' needed on war fronts: Obama
Can I rewrite the sentence above as follows?
Obama delivered the verdict which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.
(I have omitted commas before and after "which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff".) The commas are necessary here. Do you remember why? If not, read the sentence again and take out the part beginning with "which" and ending with "staff". If the new sentence makes sense, the part that you took out is additional information. What do we call this information?
2. Obama delivered the verdict, voiced
previously by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.

Are there other ways to express the phrase "
which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff" in the sentence above?
There are a number of ways to express this thought:
which had been said by senior members...
which had been spoken about by...
voiced in the past by his...
talked about earlier by his...

And on, and on

Gil

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What do we call this information?
I think it is modifier as in here:The Modifier
There are a number of ways to express this thought:
which had been said by senior members...
which had been spoken about by...
voiced in the past by his...
talked about earlier by his...

And on, and on
Is this mean that I can use the past present perfect or past simple but in the past simple we have to include time words to indicate that the action happened before the other?
Is there any way to use past present perfect without using which? I mean that if we can use participle as in past simple.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it is modifier as in here:The Modifier

Is this mean that I can use the past present perfect or past simple but in the past simple we have to include time words to indicate that the action happened before the other?
Is there any way to use past present perfect without using which? I mean that if we can use participle as in past simple.
Yes, it is a modifier, but more specifically it is called a dependent clause.

Obama delivered the verdict,
which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.

This part - "which had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff" is not a complete sentence. It depends on the rest of the sentence to make sense.

I'm not sure of what your last question means. Please provide a few sample sentences.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks, I mean that if there are any way to use only verb in past present perfect (had been voiced) to rewrite it. For example:
(I know this is wrong but I mean that it still use had + been + pp to form the phrase without which(subject).)

Obama delivered the verdict, had previously been voiced by senior members of his national security staff, as he handed over his administration's latest classified report on the conduct of the war mandated by Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.