[Grammar] Can you tell me where is the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have to explain to my students why the word order in the sentence Can you tell me where is the money? is incorrect. I am not sure which grammatical terms I should use. Is it an indirect question? Or is it an embedded question?

On the other hand, I seem to have read somewhere that the word order in sentences like the one I quoted (Can you tell me where is the money?) is possible, too (with the linking verb "to be" only). Is it so?
:-?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Direct question: 'Where is the money?'

Indirect question: 'Can you tell me where the money is?'

The word order has to change in the indirect question form and in the embedded question form: 'I want to know where the money is.' (No question mark.)

Rover

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Direct question: 'Where is the money?'

Indirect question: 'Can you tell me where the money is?'

The word order has to change in the indirect question form and in the embedded question form: 'I want to know where the money is.' (No question mark.)

Rover

Thank you. I was also wondering if it would be definitely a mistake to say "I want to know where is the money".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. I was also wondering if it would be definitely a mistake to say "I want to know where is the money".

I'm going to say yes, it's a mistake. And now I'm going to sit back and watch several people disagree with me. ;-)

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

I know for sure this is a mistake. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who say it is OK.:shock:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
"I want to know where is the money".

I'm going to say yes, it's a mistake. And now I'm going to sit back and watch several people disagree with me. ;-)

"I want to know where is the money".

"I want to know" = Introductory phrase.

2.(Where, why, when etc.)

3."The money" = should be constructed in a positive sentence. - "The money is"

Will you accept that analysis? Am I right?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: "I want to know where is the money".

Hello OD:

A question please. Why have some of your questions recently begun appearing in new threads, rather than in their original threads? There may be a good reason; I just don't know what it is.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

A question please. Why have some of your questions recently begun appearing in new threads, rather than in their original threads?
I have merged these two threads.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Hello OD:
A question please. Why have some of your questions recently begun appearing in new threads, rather than in their original threads? There may be a good reason; I just don't know what it is.

Thank you for your question. To me, it is a must to stick to teachers' commands/directives. I have been told not to hijack others' threads as you see below.

OD, there is a danger of hijacking this thread. If you have a question about a construction in someone else's thread, please copy the relevant passage and open a new thread with your own question.

Edit: As you can see, I have moved your question and started a new thread with it.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/183858-university.html

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Thank you for your question. To me, it is a must to stick to teachers' commands/directives. I have been told not to hijack others' threads
In posr #6, you appear to be posting a tentative response to the original question. If you intended it as an original question, then there was no need to link to this thread.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thanks for merging the threads 5jj. It is much easier to answer if we can review the earlier conversation.

Hello again OD:

I am not at all certain about your analysis of the sentence, and that kind of analysis is not something I am very good at. But I think I have a good grip on idiom. In light of that I was rather surprised by emsr2d2's anticipation of disagreement. To me "where the money is" is absolutely cast iron idiom and "where is the money" just plain wrong. If somebody told me that "where is the money" is acceptable I would assume they were using a dialect I am not familiar with.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I was rather surprised by emsr2d2's anticipation of disagreement.
When 'what', 'who' or 'which' is involved in a direct question containing the linking verb BE, both word orders are possible:

"Who is the current president of the United States?"
He asked me who the current resident of the United States is.
He asked me who is the current president of the United States

Some people are not sure whether this is possible with other wh- words

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The difference lies in the order of the subject and verb.

In a statement (or indirect question), the subject comes before the verb - where the money (subject) is (verb)
In a direct question, the subject comes after the verb - where is(verb) the money(subject)

not a teacher

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

It's OK with Odessa, I haven't even noticed anything.) So, coming back to my original post, what would you recommend to say to my students when explaining the structure of an indirect question:
1) The word order in an indirect question is always direct. (e.g. Can you tell me what the time is?)
2) The word order in an indirect question is usually direct, but in colloquial English it can be indirect (e.g. Can you tell me what's the time?").

Which of the two explanationa do you personally like?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Here we go. I could see someone saying this, but it would be represented as two questions. Can you tell me? Where is the money?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here we go. I could see someone saying this, but it would be represented as two questions. Can you tell me? Where is the money?

Yes, that's my feeling. The difference is between how it sounds when it's spoken, and how it's written down. I would write it like this:

Can you tell me - where is the money?
Can you tell me something - where is the money?

I maintain that, in writing, "Can you tell me where is the money?" is incorrect.

I would expect to see either:

Can you tell me where the money is?
or
Where is the money?
or
Tell me where the money is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

coming back to my original post, what would you recommend to say to my students when explaining the structure of an indirect question:
1) The word order in an indirect question is always direct. (e.g. Can you tell me what the time is?)
It isn't. See post #12.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I maintain that, in writing, "Can you tell me where is the money?" is incorrect.

I would expect to see either:

Can you tell me where the money is?
or
Where is the money?
or
Tell me where the money is.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.