Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A first investment of between 150,000 and 500,000 euros is made in order to develop and test the scientific hypotheses and prove the applicability of the concepts with which the research is concerned.
More:Kurma Biofund - KLS partners
Can I omit the preposition "of" in the sentence above?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Definitely not.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Had they not used "between XXX and XXX euros", would you have tried to remove the preposition?

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks,
I have tried it but I found some examples in Google that confusing me.
1. Between 1950 and 1991 total savings varied between 14 and 22 percent of GDP, and investment between 15 and 22 percent of GDP.
Banerjee and Duflo (2004) first show that, after the reforms, newly eligible firms (those with investment between 6.5 million and 30 million) received on average larger increments in their working capital limit than smaller firms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks,

1. Between 1950 and 1991 total savings varied between 14 and 22 percent of GDP, and investment between 15 and 22 percent of GDP.
In this one, the word "varied" has been omitted in the second half of the sentence, between "investment" and "between". In full, it would read "Between 1950 and 1991, total savings varied between 14 and 22 percent of GDP, and investment varied between 15 and 22 percent of GDP."

You didn't answer my question in post #3. Imagine that the amount of money was simply 250,000 dollars. How would you start the sentence?

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks, I see it now!
You didn't answer my question in post #3. Imagine that the amount of money was simply 250,000 dollars. How would you start the sentence?
1. A first investment of 250,000 dollars is made in order to develop and test the scientific hypotheses and prove the applicability of the concepts with which the research is concerned.

2. A first investment 250,000 dollars is made in order to develop and test the scientific hypotheses and prove the applicability of the concepts with which the research is concerned.

In this case, I have no problem with #1, therefore, I think my problem is that the use of two prepositions "of between XXX and XXX".
But I don't see why #2 is incorrect. Can I understand "A first investment 250,000 dollars" as "A first investment that is 250,000 dollars"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A first investment of 250,000 dollars = A first investment amounting to 250,000 dollars

The only way you could remove "of" would be to put the figure in brackets:

A first investment (250,000 dollars) is made to ...

We use "of" quite frequently like this:

I made a payment of £10 to reserve the item.
He saved up the massive sum of £1000 to buy his own computer.
At a price of $5, this is a real bargain.
A saving of $5 makes this a real bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.