Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
United States
I submitted a resume on December 15th, 2012 for the __________________________ position and would like to inquire about the recruiting process. Additionally , I want to mention my desire to change careers and believe that this position would offer an ideal opportunity to showcase my experience and eagerness to make a positive contribution to your organization and the community. Looking forward to a favorable reply.

Respectfully,

Thanks in advance !!!!!!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I submitted a resume on December 15th, 2012 for the __________________________ position and would like to inquire about the recruiting process. Additionally , I want to mention my desire to change careers and believe that this position would offer an ideal opportunity to showcase my experience and eagerness to make a positive contribution to your organization and the community. Looking forward to a favorable reply.

Respectfully,

Thanks in advance !!!!!!

Looks OK to me, but one of my personal "no-no's" in correspondence is to avoid use of terms such as "I would like to" and "I want to". If you want to or would like to, say it directly as "...this is to... " (instead of "would like to") and "I have a desire (instead of "I want to mention my desire....").

ag11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
United States
Looks OK to me, but one of my personal "no-no's" in correspondence is to avoid use of terms such as "I would like to" and "I want to". If you want to or would like to, say it directly as "...this is to... " (instead of "would like to") and "I have a desire (instead of "I want to mention my desire....").

billmcd- I understand the corrections, thank you very much for your time ! ag

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I submitted [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] my résumé on December 15th, 2012 for the __________________________ position and would like to inquire about the recruiting process.

[Additionally,] I would exclude this word completely but if you leave it in, don't put a space before the comma.

[STRIKE]I want to mention my desire[/STRIKE] I am keen to to change careers and believe that this position would offer an ideal opportunity to showcase my experience and eagerness to make a positive contribution to your organization and the community. [STRIKE]Looking[/STRIKE] I look forward to a favorable reply.

[STRIKE]Respectfully, [/STRIKE] Yours sincerely/faithfully

Thanks in advance !!!!!!

1. The accents over the "e"s in "résumé" are very important, otherwise it looks like the verb "to resume".
2. Do not put a space before a comma.
3. I agree with billmcd that "I want to mention my desire" is very unnatural.
4. "Looking forward to a favourable reply" is not a full sentence.
5. In BrE, such a letter should end "Yours sincerely" (if started "Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms XXX", or "Yours faithfully" (if started "Dear Sir/Madam".

In addition, although I didn't change it in your original, I would have used "the recruitment process".

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. The accent over the "e" in "resumé" is very important, otherwise it looks like the verb "to resume".
2. Do not put a space before a comma.
3. I agree with billmcd that "I want to mention my desire" is very unnatural.
4. "Looking forward to a favourable reply" is not a full sentence.
5. In BrE, such a letter should end "Yours sincerely" (if started "Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms XXX", or "Yours faithfully" (if started "Dear Sir/Madam".

In addition, although I didn't change it in your original, I would have used "the recruitment process".

Just a point in addition to your response. Although it is my understanding that use of the term "keen" is common in BrE, one would seldom see/hear it used in AmE. I mention this primarily because ag11, according to his/her profile, currently resides in the U.S. and I assume he/she is considering employment here. That said, perhaps "I am interested in......" might be a suitable substitute.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just a point in addition to your response. Although it is my understanding that use of the term "keen" is common in BrE, one would seldom see/hear it used in AmE. I mention this primarily because ag11, according to his/her profile, currently resides in the U.S. and I assume he/she is considering employment here. That said, perhaps "I am interested in......" might be a suitable substitute.

Good point. I think we agree that avoiding anything involving "desire" is important though!

ag11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
United States
Would like to thank billmcd and emsr2d2 for the quick response and advise. I have sent the email and already received a favorable reply ! :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to thank billmcd and emsr2d2 for the quick response and advice. I have sent the email and already received a favorable reply! :up:

That's great news. Note the difference I have marked above between "advise" (verb) and "advice" (noun).

Status
Not open for further replies.