Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Matthew 22
[SUP]17[/SUP] Now tell us what you think about this: Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

In my mother tongue, Arabic, the proper way to pronounce Caesar is/keɪsər/although the s sound doesn't exist in Arabic when it comes to the word Caesar. We have another sound but I failed to transcript it. Also, that pronunciation is mainstream among Arabs. However, in English it seems different. Is the below pronunciation for the word Caesar correct?
I got help from the Free Dictionary.
Caesar - definition of Caesar by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

/seɪzər/

IPA Typewriter

Note: I think that the right/exact symbol in AmE for BrE /ər/ is approximate retroflex /ɚ/.

More: Approximant consonant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S.: I am accustomed to pronouncing c as k unless it is followed by either e-century, i-cigarette, or y-cycle.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The normal BrE pronunciation/transcription is /ˈsiːzə(r)/. The /r/ in brackets tells us that this phoneme is normally pronounced only when foll0wed by a vowel.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Though as any avid follower of QI will know, the letter C was not pronounced "s" in Latin (or in modern Italian). Caesar would originally have been pronounced "K-eye-zer" and is the basis for the word "kaiser".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Though as any avid follower of QI will know, the letter C was not pronounced "s" in Latin (or in modern Italian). Caesar would originally have been pronounced "K-eye-zer" and is the basis for the word "kaiser".
Hmm. My lip always curls when Steven Fry says that - which he does rather too frequently for my taste. :) Inscriptions at Pompeii (graffiti) show that - as is suggested by modern Italian - spoken latin, even in classical times, used most of the time. The [k] pronunciation was used only in very formal use.

I am likewise an avid watcher of QI, but rather share the dubiety expressed by Ben Goldacre (who, perhaps unsurprisingly, hasn't been asked back - or perhaps has turned down invitations), who said words to the effect of 'The trouble [BK unquestioning acceptance of popular 'authority'] is TV shows like this.'

But this is some way from the OP - which has already been answered satisfactorily.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.