Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    anhnha's Avatar
    anhnha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    542

    without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Ideomotor action is an activity that occurs without our noticing it, without our being aware of it.
    Can I replace the bold phrase by "without our awareness of it"?
    Are there other ways to say it?

  2. #2
    Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,690

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Quote Originally Posted by anhnha View Post
    Ideomotor action is an activity that occurs without our noticing it, without our being aware of it.
    Can I replace the bold phrase by "without our awareness of it"?
    Are there other ways to say it?
    There are many ways to express this. I bet that you can come up with at least five different ways to express this. Why not give a try?

  3. #3
    anhnha's Avatar
    anhnha is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    542

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    There are many ways to express this. I bet that you can come up with at least five different ways to express this. Why not give a try?
    I am not sure if they are correct or not.
    1. "without our awareness of it"
    2. "without our knowing about it"
    3. "without our realizing it"
    4. "beyond our awareness of it"
    5. "out of our awareness of it"
    I feel a bit hard to using "being" in a sentence. In the sentence above, is there any difference in meaning between two sentences if I replace "being aware" by "awareness"?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,237

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Quote Originally Posted by anhnha View Post
    I am not sure if they are correct or not.
    1. "without our awareness of it"
    2. "without our knowing about it"
    3. "without our realizing it"
    4. "beyond our awareness of it"
    5. "out of our awareness of it"
    I feel a bit hard to using "being" in a sentence. In the sentence above, is there any difference in meaning between two sentences if I replace "being aware" by "awareness"?
    "... without our being aware of it" is absolutely fine.

    4 doesn't work. We don't refer to things being "beyond our awareness" usually. An argument could be made for "outside our awareness" perhaps.
    5 doesn't work at all.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Quote Originally Posted by anhnha View Post
    I am not sure if they are correct or not.
    1. "without our awareness of it"
    2. "without our knowing about it"
    3. "without our realizing it"
    4. "beyond our awareness of it"
    5. "out of our awareness of it"
    I feel a bit hard to using "being" in a sentence. In the sentence above, is there any difference in meaning between two sentences if I replace "being aware" by "awareness"?
    The original is by far the most natural. You will also hear "without us being aware of it".

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,237

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The original is by far the most natural. You will also hear "without us being aware of it".
    I agree. In fact, these days you'll probably hear "us" more frequently than "our" in this kind of construction, much to the disappointment of many grammarians.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. #7
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,766

    Re: without our being aware of it vs without our awareness of it

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In fact, these days you'll probably hear "us" more frequently than "our" in this kind of construction, much to the disappointment of many grammarians.
    To the disappointment of some writers of style guides perhaps. Serious grammarians have more sense than to be disappointed by changes in language; they merely note them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •