[General] 'openly carry concealed weapons' - meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

The following is from a news story about the latest shooting on a Texas college campus.

Guns are not allowed to be carried on college campuses in Texas. But earlier this week, Texas Senator Brian Birdwell introduced legislation in response to that would allow students to openly carry concealed weapons "on university property for personal protection."

What is the meaning of 'openly carry concealed weapons'? I understand that some states in the US allow carrying concealed weapons (for example, hidden under the clothes) with a valid license, and some states allow carrying weapons openly (in plain sight). If this understanding is not correct, please let me know.

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea. It seems nonsensical to me.

I agree. I don't see how it's possible to openly carry anything concealed.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

The following is from a news story about the latest shooting on a Texas college campus.

Guns are not allowed to be carried on college campuses in Texas. But earlier this week, Texas Senator Brian Birdwell introduced legislation in response to that would allow students to openly carry concealed weapons "on university property for personal protection."

What is the meaning of 'openly carry concealed weapons'? I understand that some states in the US allow carrying concealed weapons (for example, hidden under the clothes) with a valid license, and some states allow carrying weapons openly (in plain sight). If this understanding is not correct, please let me know.

Thank you
I believe that you are confusing the article you cited above with an article noted in that article. The one you cited does not have the word "openly" in it. There was a failed legislative bill which would have allowed anyone to openly carry a gun on school property.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I believe that you are confusing the article you cited above with an article noted in that article. The one you cited does not have the word "openly" in it. There was a failed legislative bill which would have allowed anyone to openly carry a gun on school property.

@Gilnetter, when I copied from the news story, those words were there. But, as it often seems to happen with news stories on Yahoo News, they retain the link, but change the content, including the headline. And in this, case, someone seems to have noticed the problem of contradictory words and changed that exact portion. If you notice, the previous sentence starting with 'Guns are not allowed ...' is still retained in the article I cited. (I did not think it was appropriate to include the entire article, so I copied only the relevant part.) It would have been good if they maintained a change log, as I have noticed some sites do it.

Sorry for the wasted time and bandwidth.

P.S. By the way, I still have the old version of that news (link that I included) in my browser tab if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Last edited:

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please see the picture of the original news story.

Attachments

• ShootingOnTexasCampus.jpg
    ShootingOnTexasCampus.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 7

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for that screencap Olympian. I never doubted you for a moment.;-)

I agree that "openly carry ... concealed" is a nonsense. I guess that what the author intended by "openly" (and what his editor at first failed to correct) is "with impunity". American political discourse on this issue is so heated that such nonsenses have become commonplace.

iannou

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
This is a great example of an oxymoron. It's also an example of the way journalistic standards are much lower in blogs than in traditional print media. There's no way a "clanger" of a mistake like that would get past any editor worthy of the title.

oxymoron, noun. Rhetoric .a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Texas, like in the majority of states, people may obtain permits to carry concealed weapons. However, there are usually places that such weapons are prohibited, like at schools and universities. The discussion here is about a change in law which would allow such permit holders to carry on college campuses.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you all for your responses.
@Probus, thanks for not doubting me. ;) Thanks for clarifying that 'openly' can mean 'with impunity' in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.