Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The team were overwhelmingly defeated in yesterday's game.

The team were defeated overwhelmingly in yesterday's game.

which one is correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are fine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The team was..." in AmE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It can be 'was' in BrE, too, but it doesn't have to be.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* I agree - both are correct. But I believe the first emphasizes the verb (defeated), while the second seems to emphasize the adverb (overwhelmingly.) One other point, if you are interested: The auxiliary verb (were) does not agree in number with the subject (team). "Team" is singular and the correct (singular) form of the verb is "was" - not "were."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
he auxiliary verb (were) does not agree in number with the subject (team). "Team" is singular and the correct (singular) form of the verb is "was" - not "were."
'Were' is fine in British English. Collective nouns are often treated as if they were plural. We think of the group as a collection of individuals.

England (the football team) were defeated by France last week for the first time since 2009.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* I agree - both are correct. But I believe the first emphasizes the verb (defeated), while the second seems to emphasize the adverb (overwhelmingly.) One other point, if you are interested: The auxiliary verb (were) does not agree in number with the subject (team). "Team" is singular and the correct (singular) form of the verb is "was" - not "were."

Note that this is a variation between American and British use. Britons typically consider "collective nouns" to be plural.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* I offer my sympathy to saloom2. Not only is he/she trying to learn English, but runs into these contradictory differences between accepted British and American English from well intended persons from both camps. For some this type of contradictory information must be bewildering rather than helpful. I'm a newbie, but it already seems to me that the majority of the teacher responses are from those who probably prefer to use BE rather than American. Would the forum serve better if Americans didn't offer our understandings?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* I offer my sympathy to saloom2. Not only is he/she trying to learn English, but runs into these contradictory differences between accepted British and American English from well intended persons from both camps. For some this type of contradictory information must be bewildering rather than helpful. I'm a newbie, but it already seems to me that the majority of the teacher responses are from those who probably prefer to use BE rather than American. Would the forum serve better if Americans didn't offer our understandings?

No, all are welcome. It depends on the time of day, too, who is asking and answering. Some learners may want a British flavor and some an American one. It depends on their needs.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, all are welcome. It depends on the time of day, too, who is asking and answering. Some learners may want a British flavor and some an American one. It depends on their needs.
I second that (except that I'd write 'flavour'. ;-)

Some of us, speakers of both AmE and BrE and of other varieties, need to remind ourselves sometimes that what is absolutely true in our variety may not be so absolutely true in another variety. Learners generally cope well with the different varieties, and learn to pick what suits their needs best. The only times when problems arise is when one of us insists that our variety is right and the others are wrong.

For some reason, the majority of the people who respond regularly in this forum happen to be from the British sector. This doesn't matter. Some of our most valued gurus are American and Australian, and they help ensure that this forum provides a balanced view of English. We also have valuable input from speakers of other varieties of English, and from non-native speakers (some of whom give more helpful responses than some native speakers do).

So, as SoothingDave wrote, all are welcome.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In addition, some of us BrE speakers attempt to include the AmE variant in our responses too when we are familiar with them. It would be entirely unfair on learners if they were only given one variant. The only problem comes when someone writes something like "xxx is NEVER acceptable" etc, only to find that it's perfectly acceptable in another variant. I rarely say "never" or "always" in my responses anyway but if I do, I will always qualify it with "in BrE".

Status
Not open for further replies.