Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am trying to frame example sentences for the phrases used in the sonnet The World Is Too Much with Us (sonnet by Wordsworth). Is my understanding of these phrases is right? Are these sentences correct?

too much -
The English section for the test is vast. It is too much for me to absorb.
getting and spending - The city life is lavish. People are getting and spending money like anything.
late and soon - Your devilish actions would be punished; late and soon,
our hearts away- To work in this ditch, we should throw our hearts away.
sordid boon - He is the merciless gangster; granting him a life is a sordid boon.

Thanks

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only #1 (if you had numbered them) sounds natural.

Why are you doing this?

Rover

mksarma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Actually my younger cuisine approached me with this query (of his English class). These phrases are too poetic for me to frame sensible sentences. I just wanted to check myself with the usage before I advice him.
Any examples would be great.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually my younger [STRIKE]cuisine[/STRIKE] cousin approached me with this query [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from his English class. These phrases are too poetic for me to frame sensible sentences. I just wanted to check [STRIKE]myself with[/STRIKE] the usage before I advise him.
Any examples would be great.

Is your cousin going to hand them in to his teacher to be marked?

mksarma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Its not for a grading/marking kind of thing. Its kind of exercise they would give to their students in groups to make them familiar with variety of things. Students in a group will share their experiences with others in the group. And of course, I am not going to give him the sentences, I want to let him understand and help him in building sentences. Though I am not good at English, I could not stop him from reaching me. In fact, this would help me too to grow.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am trying to frame example sentences for the phrases used in the sonnet The World Is Too Much with Us (sonnet by Wordsworth). Is my understanding of these phrases is right? Are these sentences correct?

too much -
The English section for the test is vast. It is too much for me to absorb. :tick:
getting and spending - [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] City life is lavish. People [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]getting[/STRIKE] earn and spend[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] money like anything. See my amendments. If you really have to use "getting and spending" together in a sentence, you will need another one.
late and soon - Your devilish actions would be punished; late and soon. :cross: This doesn't make any sense. Although you might do something soon, but find that it is still "too late", your sentence doesn't work. You can say "Your devilish actions will be punished - and soon".
our hearts away- To work in this ditch, we should throw our hearts away. :cross: Again, this doesn't make sense. We don't say that we will "throw our hearts away".
sordid boon - He is the merciless gangster; granting him a life is a sordid boon. :cross: These two words really don't go together. "Sordid" is a rather unpleasant word but "boon" is something good, like an advantage. I can't imagine any way to put these together.

Thanks

See above. If those words/phrases have been given to the whole class by the teacher, in order to make sentences from them, I will be very surprised if anyone succeeds with any of them except the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.