Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
From VOA News:

When Obama took the official oath of office Sunday, the gray in his hair was noticeable. But it was the first lady's hair that was creating all the buzz - with her new haircut featuring "bangs."

People magazine described it as "a youthful new hairstyle: a straight, shoulder-skimming cut with bangs." And the Wall Street Journal called it "a bold move at a high profile time."
It is likely no accident of timing. Stylist Lauren Rothman said Michelle Obama used her style-sense to make a statement with her dress from four years ago.
"When they came out and said, 'We're here, and the nation is changing,' and that's what it said when she came out in that outfit," said Rothman.
Right from the start, four years ago, it seemed Obama enjoyed having the first lady steal some of the spotlight.
For Sunday's ceremony, Michelle Obama also drew notice for her royal blue dress and cardigan by American designer Reed Krakoff.
"They want to be wearing an outfit that says that, that says, 'We're proud to be here and thank you for re-electing us,'" said Rothman.
But even the president knows, it all comes back to the hair.
"I love Michelle Obama. And to address the most significant event of this weekend, I love her bangs," said the president.

My questions:
1.What does "accident of timing" mean here ?
2.Who are they?what does "it " refer to and what outfit is "that outfit"? It doesn't seems so clear from the context.
3.Was president saying first ladies' haircut is the most significant event of this weekend.?
Thanks.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
1.What does "accident of timing" mean here?
It means that it was not just an accident or coincidence that she wore a youthful hairstyle to this ceremony and a stylish dress to the same ceremony four years ago. The implication is that she was making a particular point by the way she presented herself.

2.Who are "they"? What does "it" refer to, and what outfit is "that outfit"?
"they" = the President and his wife
"that outfit" = the dress she was wearing
"what it said" = the point that was being made, which, according to the writer, was "the nation is changing".

3.Was the President saying that the first lady's haircut was the most significant event of this weekend?
Because the haircut received so much media attention, the President was jokingly suggesting it was the most significant event.

Note the corrections I've made to your questions.

not a teacher

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.What does "accident of timing" mean here?
It means that it was not just an accident or coincidence that she wore a youthful hairstyle to this ceremony and a stylish dress to the same ceremony four years ago. The implication is that she was making a particular point by the way she presented herself.

2.Who are "they"? What does "it" refer to, and what outfit is "that outfit"?
"they" = the President and his wife
"that outfit" = the dress she was wearing
"what it said" = the point that was being made, which, according to the writer, was "the nation is changing".

3.Was the President saying that the first lady's haircut was the most significant event of this weekend?
Because the haircut received so much media attention, the President was jokingly suggesting it was the most significant event.

Note the corrections I've made to your questions.

not a teacher

Thanks a lot for your corrections , and for your answers,they are very helpful.
Continue with my questions:
1.If the first lady had dressed up just for that special occassion and not intended to make any point whatsoever, would it be called "accident of timing"? But it doesn't seem like so much of an accident to me, because you still have to choose what wear for that event,it doesn't happen by chance.
2.Since it is the point being made ,should it be "what it was said " instead of " what it said"?
3.What does " adress " mean here?I looked for the usage of address on the dictionary,the only definition seems right is "give a speech to" ,but it doesn't really fit in with the context.
Thanks again.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot for your corrections , and for your answers,they are very helpful.
Continue with my questions:
1.If the first lady had dressed up just for that special occassion and not intended to make any point whatsoever, would it be called "accident of timing"? But it doesn't seem like so much of an accident to me, because you still have to choose what wear for that event,it doesn't happen by chance.
2.Since it is the point being made ,should it be "what it was said " instead of " what it said"?
3.What does " adress " mean here?I looked for the usage of address on the dictionary,the only definition seems right is "give a speech to" ,but it doesn't really fit in with the context.
Thanks again.

1. It was talking about her new haircut. It was not just a happenstance, an accident of timing. Women do sometimes need haircuts. They don't always have some significance. But this one did.

2. No.

3. Address | Define Address at Dictionary.com Definition 15, "to deal with or discuss."

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2.I read the passage again.In my humble opinion, "that" refers back to the point "the nation is changing", and "it" refers to the fact " she came out in that outfit", so " she came out in that outfit" said the point "the nation is changing". Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"that outfit" = the specific outfit under discussion.
"it" = as you say, the fact that she came out in that outfit – "that's what the act of wearing that outfit said".

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.