[Grammar] 'provocatively admired' or 'notes provocatively'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the sentence below, the word "provocatively" is to describe Judge or Reagan? Should I read like this to make more sense: Judge notes provocatively that while governor of California.....
But if it's "Reagan provocatively admired," that's not making sense to me because the dictionary says it means "causing anger or another strong reaction", putting together with "admired" would be strange in context to me.

"Judge notes that while governor of California, Reagan provocatively ‘admired Coolidge’s tax-rate and budget cuts and the prosperity they produced."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the position between 'Reagan' and 'admired, 'provocatively' can modify only 'admired' Reagan's admiration of Coolidge's measures caused strong reactions.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Angie8;957659... But if it's "Reagan provocatively admired said:
's not making[/STRIKE] doesn't make/makes no* sense to me because the dictionary says it means "causing anger or another strong reaction", putting together with "admired" would be strange in context to me.

"Judge notes that while governor of California, Reagan provocatively ‘admired Coolidge’s tax-rate and budget cuts and the prosperity they produced."
The provoking and the admiring have different objects, so there's no problem here. The fact [that Reagan admired Coolidge's fiscal policies] was provocative.

* Note: 'no' not 'not'. (Phew - plenty of scope for typoes there ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.