Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you say "The new school opens next year", it means "a physically new building of a school will open its door to students". right? And "New school opens next year" probably doesn't make sense as it should mean "A new shool year will begin next year".
Does "open" have only a physical meaning other than "beginning a new semester or a new school year"?

Q6 - ____ opens next year.

New school
The new school

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The new school opens next year" does indeed mean that a new school will be inaugurated. The buildings need not necessarily be new, but the institution, the school, must be new.

If you were talking about the school year, you would probably say "The new school year begins" and then give an indication of the date, for example "on (date)" or "in (month or season)".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! So, "New school opens next year." never makes sense. right?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It should never be used because its meaning is unclear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might see "New school opens next year" as a local newspaper headline if there is indeed a new school (building or institution) scheduled to open the following year, and the story is of interest to the local community.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think the abbreviation of (a or the) in "New school..." is because it's a newspaper, where short expressions are quite needed to save space, so as probus said, in normal usage, it would be vague, I guess.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the abbreviation of (a or the) in "New school..." is because it's a newspaper, where short expressions are quite needed to save space, so as probus said, in normal usage, it would be vague, I guess.
Yes, that's why I specified in my post that you might see it as a newspaper headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.