Something Just Seems 'Off' About This? Your Thoughts Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxinterior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Philippines
Hi

I'm just writing a short two line blurb that's supposed to be a kind of 'mission statement' and something just doesn't sound correct to me. Would appreciate some feedback from other, more knowledgeable people :lol:

A professional programmer for almost 15 years who's managed to make a decent living purely from working on the Internet. With my plugins and articles I hope to help other people do the same.

Thanks

Steve

PS: 'Plugins' refers to the software I write... just in case anybody was wondering.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
A professional programmer for almost 15 years who's managed to make a decent living purely from working on the Internet. With my plugins and articles I hope to help other people do the same.

Perhaps:
As a professional programmer for almost 15 years, I've managed to make a decent living purely from working on the Internet. With my plugins and articles I hope to help other people do the same.

not a teacher

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
With my plugins and articles I hope to help other people do the same.

That's vague. You should say what you do with you plugins and articles to help the people. Do you sell/publish them?

not a teacher

luxinterior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Philippines
Perhaps:
As a professional programmer for almost 15 years, I've managed to make a decent living purely from working on the Internet. With my plugins and articles I hope to help other people do the same.

not a teacher

Thanks for your suggestion. Sounds much better. Funny how just a slight rearrangement of the words
can make all the difference.

Steve

luxinterior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Philippines
That's vague. You should say what you do with you plugins and articles to help the people. Do you sell/publish them?

not a teacher

It's for a small 'about' box with limited space. I can't write an essay and the site makes it abundantly clear what I mean by the term 'plugins' so there's no confusion at all. Thanks for your feedback though.

Steve

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A comment on the content: It's about you - how you earn your living. Is your purpose for this blurb to talk about you or to talk about your readers and their needs?

luxinterior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Philippines
A comment on the content: It's about you - how you earn your living. Is your purpose for this blurb to talk about you or to talk about your readers and their needs?

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I guess the answer is 'both'. It's an 'about' blurb so it has to cover both areas in a VERY short amount of space. I think that's why it seems a bit jarring to me. There's no flow or natural continuity from me to YOU. But as I say I'm restricted by space.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.