Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am writing a short textbook for my students and I want to entitle one of the sections like this: Controlled Self-Study Training. In this section I am going to include assignments for students' independent work to be done at home and to be controlled by the teacher later. Will this title be allright? Or, perhaps, Controlled Independent Work?

By the way, what would be the best word for the textbook itself? It has the same structure as textbooks (or coursebooks) usually have, but it's too small to be called a 'proper' textbook. A booklet, perhaps?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word "controlled" is unnatural in this context. You could simply call the chapter "Self-Study [and] Exercises". I don't think you need to make it clear in the chapter title that the exercises will be marked/assessed at a later date by the teacher. That can be explained in the opening lines of the chapter.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you, and what about the word to call the whole book, does "booklet" sound OK? Or, even if it's smaller than a textbook, can I refer to it as 'textbook' anyway?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you, and what about the word to call the whole book, does "booklet" sound OK? Or, even if it's smaller than a textbook, can I refer to it as 'textbook' anyway?

Without seeing it it's difficult to be sure but "booklet" is possible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I have given my learners papers/handouts/booklets, I have called them simply notes.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Notes is O.k. for separate sheets of paper, and booklet, perhaps, is too small for the thing I have in mind. I've been looking for a word describing a "shorter textbook". To give you an example: We're teaching English to students majoring in two languages (German and English, French and English, Chinese and English etc.). Oxforfd University Press publishes textbooks including texts and assignments on various topics (like "Meeting People", "Family", "Food", "Nature", "Travel", "Clothes" etc.), but these textbooks do not coincide with our curriculum, as we need to teach them more "thoroughly", e.g. we need to include in the course some exercises on translation from Russian into English which Oxford University books do not have. We have to make up our own smaller scale "textbooks" in which we may include translation exercises and some other materials we think important for this particular specialty. In such a "booklet" we may include the topic "Teaching Practice" with texts, dialogues and exercises about student teachers, for example, because the students are trained to be teachers of two languages. So, the "booklet" may be devoted to, say, three topics with lots of oral and written activities in it. It may be published, then it will look like this:metodicheskaja-razrabotka-po-anglijskomu-jazyku-english-speaking-countries-tests.jpg

Students may then get it from the subfaculty's assistant at the office or even buy it if it's sold at the university newsstand. I think the best word for it is "booklet", I was just wondering if some other word might better describe it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It could be called a textbook with exercises, provided it contains lessons and tests. Was the picture actually representative of the title you plan to use? If so, I think you need to think again "English Speaking Countries Tests" is not natural.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And I forgot to mention one point: when we make such booklets, we often include the word for this thing in its title. In my language it sounds fine, but in English I'll get something like this:

"A Booklet (Textbook / Handout) on the Topics "Weather" and "Home" for students studying English as their second specialty". :)

Could someone help me make this title sound more natural?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It could be called a textbook with exercises, provided it contains lessons and tests. Was the picture actually representative of the title you plan to use? If so, I think you need to think again "English Speaking Countries Tests" is not natural.

No, it's not mine, I just found the picture when I searched the net. The title of my textbook is in the above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.