Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:) I am considering studying Linguistics. I am for sentence structuring more then verbs and nouns. I am leaning toward core words over synonyms. In using the title or subject, it is the epitome of the whole piece. I am using a software called grammarly, I am very impressed with it. I have created my own (style) of writing. Any points are embedded into (eclipses) and if I need to verify a point then I use a link. My style is freestyle and not numbered listed, that's why I use freestyle writing. What is PHP tags? Any advice on my new style would be greatly appreciated. Paul/pljames

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please don't post your texts in bold. There's no need for it.

Last edited:

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am interested in what you are trying to do, but I don't understand some of your terms. I should say, though, that I am very suspicious of "free-style" writing. Could you send us an example?

Frank

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a fanaticism about being understood. I want to be (perfect) in my writing, so I can be understood. Grammarly is free to me. What other writing software is available? I do not know where a comma goes are verbs and nouns. Grammarly helps me put commas and correct spelling mistakes. Paul

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me freestyle writing is what comes to mind. No order per say. The order so to speak is (my style of writing). Embedding my points into (eclipses) and if I need to clarify any of them then I link them. Also order to me is (123/abc) type writing. To me I feel my style is better than creating another sentence within a paragraph for more reading. The embedding of a point or clarification is immediate and does not have to be reread by some vertical order. This e-mail is my free style writing. Paul

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Paul, Yes, I can understand what you write -- for the most part. But I think you may be "missing the boat" by not using what is there to used with the punctuation system.

As I believe I have said elsewhere in this forum, the English language spelling system has some real problems. And knowing your parts of speech is mostly useful when you go to learn a foreign language. The study of syntax and its illustrating with Reed-Kellogg sentence diagramming is great fun, but not really necessary. BUT... the punctuation system has SO much to offer.

I am just now finishing a "mini-course" on punctuation through Youtube videos. These begin at
2.76.1 Punctuation Begun - YouTube
and go on for about 24 short videos. There are 17 marks and 84 uses described in the reference I am using. Once you get control of them, the are fun to use.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.