Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
A : How are you?

B: I am great. Quitting the band was the best thing that could have happened.

This is a dialogue and I was wondering if the usage of the could have happened is the same as

in

1) If I you had studied harder, you could have passed the exam. ( Conditional )

2) That could have been Tom. ( past guess )

Which one has the same rule, #1 or #2?

I think that the usage of"could have happened" in the dialogue is the same as that of # 2. What do you native English speakers think? Thank you so much and take good care.

Kiwi watcher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
In all cases could have happened means that there is an a alternative to that which did , will happen .

Quitting the band could have had a different outcome , what if the band had been called the Beatles?

If you had studied harder you could have passed the exam . That is only guessing but it is likely more study would have given a better result.

That could have been Tom, is also only guessing .

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Kiwi watcher.

It's great to have a new native speaker in the ranks, answering learners' questions. As a native speaker though, it's important that your posts are written correctly because learners will read them and assume that they don't contain any errors (except the occasional typo).

On that basis, please ensure that your punctuation is used and spaced correctly:

- No space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- A single punctuation mark suffices, except when using an ellipsis where appropriate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.