Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Concerning voice tone meaning. I am curious on how these words apply when writing. The word tone to me means anger happy sad and such because I would understand these words spoken but instead they are written. The word voice confuses me. What relation does voice have other than speaking? And meaning, does not the words themselves have meaning plus there synonyms? Example "the cat sat on the mat". how can anyone misunderstand the meaning of this sentence.

To me cat sat mat are noun verb and noun. The on the are necessary to complete the sentence. It would seem I write the way I speak. I do English a disservice because I learned it (my way) and not the way teachers teach it. Verbs nouns and such I do not understand. I am for sentence structure more than syntax. I use the language from what I have read and understood. I also have a language understanding problem, I think it's called a comprehension reading problem. I do not know how to overcome it. This is the best I can do. Paul

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Voice tone and meaning. I seem to have found (my way or style) of writing. I am totally engrossed with the way Wikipedia is used. I have accepted it as my way/style of writing. Since I have a reading comprehension problem the same goes with my writing. My fanaticism is to be understood! I write to inform others who I am and why I write. I think it is to be acknowledged I can communicate with them even if I have a reading or writing comprehension problem. And to identify me as a person who even with a disability can be understood by others. I wish the word (perfect) would not haunt me so much. Thank you for your patience. Paul

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why when one writes one is suppose to write like they talk? Of course, we use tones when we talk but how does that relate to writing? We print the words with an explanation on how we feel with printed words instead of voice tone. Paul

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

We use our voice to emphasize.
A: The dog sat on the mat?
B: No, the cat sat on the mat.

A: The cat sat on the couch?
B: No, the cat ast on the mat.

A: How is Jim?
B: Oh such good news! You know how badly he broke his leg. But when I saw him yesterday, he was walking.

In these examples, there is no misunderstanding the position of the cat or what Jim was doing. But how we use our voice tells the listener what part of the information is new or important.

Is that what you mean?

Aidani jamal

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Your answer is on the target Barb
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

We use our voice to emphasize.
A: The dog sat on the mat?
B: No, the cat sat on the mat.

A: The cat sat on the couch?
B: No, the cat ast on the mat.

A: How is Jim?
B: Oh such good news! You know how badly he broke his leg. But when I saw him yesterday, he was walking.

In these examples, there is no misunderstanding the position of the cat or what Jim was doing. But how we use our voice tells the listener what part of the information is new or important.

Is that what you mean?

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant when we are writing not speaking. Linguists use these three words when reading someones writing. Tone meaning and voice. One can use a word for tone "don't yell". "Meaning what I meant to say is, the way you pronounce Houseton or Houston by using words". And the word voice does not make any sense when one is writing. Paul

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
*And the word voice does not make any sense when one is writing.

Couldn't people agree on some common signs to graphically indicate the original tone of the utterance?

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Esgaleth,
They could but apples are apples and oranges are oranges. They can't be a combination. Speaking is speaking and writing is writing. In speech is it Houseton or Houston? In speaking you hear the word then the words. In writing you see the word and words. But to answer your question yes. Paul

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Speaking is speaking and writing is writing. In speech is it Houseton or Houston?
You can indicate the spoken word in writing phonemically:/ˈhju:stən/. /ˈhju:stn/. /ˈhu:stən/. /ˈhu:stn/. /ˈhaʊstən/, /ˈhaʊstən/, etc.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also the use of "voice" in writing to mean the writing style, particularly in business writing.

I can write a brochure that says "Company X has 52 years of experience and is well-equiped to address our customers' data challenges, including data storage issues and archving, and offers solutions that are superior to the many options businesses face, with low start-up barriers and scalable for future growth."

Or I could write one that says "Puzzled over the many data storage systems out there? That's not surprising, considering how many options are out there. But don't worry - we can help! We have solutions that are easy to implement, customized so you don't pay for more than you need, and able to grow as you do."

Totally different "voices."

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Couldn't people agree on some common signs to graphically indicate the original tone of the utterance?

.....to answer your question yes. Paul

@: Paul,
Do you know if they did?

Is it possible for you and me to pronounce this sentence with the same tone?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Wouldn't that just complicate things and mess up an economical writing system?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Wouldn't that just complicate things and mess up an economical writing system?

My idea was that any writing system is trying to record not only the straightforward meaning of what has been or is supposed to be said but also what was or is implied in as much detail as possible, tone, intonation and rhythmic pattern included. (see Barb’s brilliant example:up:)

It is a widespread belief that the English spelling system is recklessly misleading when it comes to pronunciation but to a certain extent it could be true of practically any spelling system.

Should we simply admit that as any human invention our writing systems are far from being perfect?

I would also add, if I may, that a bit of good schooling could work miracles in this field of communication.

ps. What is an economical writing system? Is it about the right balance between how much we want to and can get across?

Status
Not open for further replies.