Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear All,

Just imagine that as a lecturer, I am presenting a topic, and I have some related slides.
Where the words are in bold face, I am in doubts. Would you please correct me?

"... as you can see, in [on or at] this slide, our calculation formula is written [or has been written/was written]. This formula is only for [or is for only] the situation that mentioned [has been mentioned/is mentioned/was mentioned] in [or without in] our last session. Also, the formula is explained [was explained/has been...] in your book on [at] page 100 ..."

Additionally, would you please explain briefly about the reasons of your correction?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear All,

Just imagine that as a lecturer, I am presenting a topic, and I have some related slides.
Where the words are in bold face, I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] have [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] ​some doubts. Would you please correct me?

"... as you can see, in [STRIKE][on or at][/STRIKE] this slide, [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] the [calculation] formula is written like this.[STRIKE][or has been written/was written] [/STRIKE] This formula is only for [STRIKE][or is for only][/STRIKE] the situation [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] which was mentioned [STRIKE][has been mentioned/is mentioned/was mentioned][/STRIKE] in [STRIKE][or without in][/STRIKE] our last session. Also, the formula is explained [STRIKE][was explained/has been...][/STRIKE] in your book on [STRIKE][at][/STRIKE] page 100 ..."

Additionally, would you please explain briefly about the reasons of your correction?

Thanks.

My reason for my amendments is simple - consistency. The slide is right in front of them and you are talking to them right now. Use the present tense. Keep it simple.

Pooya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks so much. I have another question as well. A person asked me about my BSc thesis' language (I got my BSc 4 yrs ago), and I said, "it is written in Persian". Now, my friend says that you should say, "it was written in Persian", and the way that you said is completely wrong.

So, would you please tell me that was my sentence completely wrong?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not wrong. You could use either form. Yes, the writing that you did was in the past. But the paper itself is written in Persian.

Status
Not open for further replies.